White MacBook - Dead pixel problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Knirps, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Knirps macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone!
    I just bought my white MacBook and its a great computer except for the 2 dead pixels that i found. On the left side there are 2-3 dead pixels about 1 inch from the bottom of the screen and 1 inch from the top.

I bought it from BestBuy this Sunday and only discovered the problem today. So my question is can they tell me that it is OK for an LCD to have 2-3 dead pixels and refuse to do anything with it? It is unacceptable in my opinion, as the LCD technologies have been out for a while, as well as Apple's products are usually of very high quality.

So what should i do?

2. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Aren't you still in your 14 day "no questions asked" return window? It's been awhile since I bought at Worst Buy but I believe you can still return it.

As far as 2-3 dead pixels go... it sounds like this is "acceptable" in the eyes of Apple and they most likely won't fix it. I guess it all depends on who you talk to.

Regardless, run that thing back to Best Buy for a swap. If they give you any crap just cite their return policy or better yet, threaten to cancel the credit card purchase (this has worked for me a couple of times). It's not like you want your money back - just an exchange. Be firm until you get what you want. Then, unpack the new one from the box and fire it up before you leave the store.

FWIW... I've got some major pixel burnout as well but I don't want to send my macbook in until something else goes wrong as I can't afford to be without it for very long.

3. celticpride678

I found 3 dead pixels on my MacBook Aluminum. I went to the Genius Bar and they said, if I want, they can send the laptop out and get it replaced. However, he also said, if you look at every display in the store, you will find at least 2 dead pixels. I looked at two computers, and sure enough they were there. However, since you are in your 14 day return period, exchange it for a new one and see if there are still dead pixels. It might be risky, because the new display might have even more dead pixels. Your call.

4. Knirps thread starter macrumors newbie

Alrighty, Thanks for your input guys!

Ill just stick with this laptop then, as I am completely satisified with it. I masagged one pixel out, and the other stuck pixel is not that bad - its black and doesnt really bother me that much. Thanks so much you guys!

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Your "genius" was full of it.

I don't have a single dead pixel on my screen...tested with solid color desktops. The little piece of chipped off black trim that sat itself just above my Trash, now that's a different story that I didn't care enough to go back about :D