White Macbook doesn't wake from sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dL., Apr 6, 2009.

1. dL. macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I've heard that Macbook Pro's have this issue, but it seems like my white Macbook is exhibiting this sometimes. It's not a lot but I've encountered it about 3-5 times now.

When I just close the lid, the little white light at the front should glow and unglow. It seems like the light stayed lit so when I open the lid the screen wouldn't turn on and there is no response and I would be forced to cold boot.

My Macbook is up to date, with no problem in diagnostic.

Anyone else experienced this?

dL

2. cybaster macrumors member

Hey,
    there are a few things that you can do to see if it helps the situation:

ranging from easiest to hardest (which is still not that hard)

- Do a PRAM reset on startup
    hold down command option P and R together until you hear a 2nd chime, I usually tell people to wait until you HEAR 2 chimes, because if their macbooks were muted, then it may only chime once when you reset

-Reset the PMU.
    The PMU unit is what regulates sleep, and wake up, and more than half the time resetting the PMU can solve your issue.
    Take out your battery and unplug your MagSafe adapter after you shut down your Mac. Then open the lid, press and hold the power button for 10 seconds. Replace battery and/or AC and start your Macbook up

- Removing erroneous plists.
    Sometimes your property lists in your macbook can be corrupted (no biggie, this isn't like the windows registry....)
    go to your Macintosh HD -> Library (not the user one) -> Preferences -> System Configuration

if you don't see System Configuration, you went to the wrong Library folder

then drag the Powermanagement.plist and Autowake.plist out of that folder onto your desktop (don't worry, they will auto populate after you restart.)
    make sure the files are OUT of that folder before you restart, if you already have a copy on the desktop but still have a copy in the folder, delete it from the System Config folder

Try these first and see if this helps

3. Sparky19 macrumors newbie

i have experienced this happening once before but when i restarted it i havent come across it since then

4. dL. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot I'll give these a try!

For your third method, I can only find com.apple.PowerManagement.plist but not the auto wake in that folder.

dL