Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qsoundrich

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
For the past couple of weeks I've noticed that my old white macbook is running hot, and browsing has been kind of slow. I don't see anything out of the ordinary in the processes, but Heatsink A is reading -1. Should I just pull the machine apart and see if something isn't connected anymore? I installed a 7200 RPM HD a few months ago, but this problem is more recent.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 117

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
What happens when you set iStat to display the widget horizontally? I'm just wondering what the ... after the -1 is. It seems like this might be a defective sensor of some sort, but it shouldn't do anything to bog the system down. All a heatsink does is disperse heat. And if the temperature went up, I don't think the fans would kick in unless the CPU itself gets hot.

As for opening the machine, I wouldn't do it if you still have the warranty on it. Even if the warranty has expired, I would try to contact Apple first and see what can be done. If they can't help, then I would go in to the machine. Just make sure to back up everything!

qsoundrich

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
OK i was just looking at it again, and the Heatsink A temp is all wonky. It goes up to 230 and down to -85 in a few seconds. I wonder how to fix the sensor....

I'm not inclined to take it anywhere, because I don't want to pay for them to fix it. Working on computers doesn't scare me, but good reminder about backing up first.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
is this a 2GHz Core Duo MacBook by any chance ? (MacBook 1,1) ?

If it is then don't worry - it is a fault with iStat that never seems to get fixed - one second it reads -80 the next +60. The other Heatsink sensor works correctly ?

If so don't worry - nothing wrong with the hardware - faulty software !!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.