White Macbook < G5 iMac ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ritzuk, Mar 6, 2009.

1. ritzuk macrumors member

Will I notice an increase in performance if I move from my G5 iMac to a new white Macbook? I some DTP in Pages, so I was wondering if i plugged a macbook into a 20" monitor it would perform OK?

My G5 iMac chugs a bit doing DTP work!

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Mostly yes, the MB will be better, faster, newer-smelling. How much more depends on the specs of the G5 vs the MB.

It should have no trouble with the 20" monitor and you will lurv the extra real estate.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Any of the intel mac have more processor performance than G5 processors.

So yes, it should be faster if you are running UNIVERSAL apps (not PPC only app) on intel mac.

4. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

The iMac G5 is a solid, reliable machine.

I was the proud owner of one (until I finally upgraded to an Intel iMac).

When I owned the iMac G5, I purchased a MacBook for my wife. The C2D Intel processor in the MacBook simply blows away the IBM G5 processor in the iMac. I really noticed this when using Handbrake.

With the iMac G5, it would take around 8 hours to convert a movie to the settings that I wanted. With my wife's MacBook, it took less than 2 hours. That's when I knew it was time to upgrade (and the fact that I could run all the operating systems that I wanted to on the Intel machine).

The other factor to consider is the graphics card. I don't have hard evidence, but I am willing to bet the integrated NVIDIA card is near equal, if not better, than the dedicated ATI card in the iMac G5.

To answer your question, yes, you will see better performance with the Intel MacBook.

5. ritzuk thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies, I'm 90% sure i'll pick one up tomorrow. I've wanted a white one ever since they came out, and the new model spec is quite nice, even without DDR3.

I don't think I could stand to get rid of my iMac G5, so having the portable will be a nice addition!

6. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I have an iMac G5 and a white Macbook and the Macbook kills the iMac in performance in every way. You will notice a sizable improvement.