White MacBook heat question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tomster2300, Jun 18, 2009.

1. tomster2300 macrumors member

I know that the white MacBooks are known for getting hot, but I'm wondering if my temps are normal. My MacBook is a late 2007 model (the first one to offer Leopard pre-installed).

Specs:
    2ghz, 4gbs ram, 80 gb hd and x3100.

I live in the South, so our summers are pretty warm (high 80s, low 90s). Our house stays around 80 degrees, but this computer is also in the same room as my Vista desktop and my xbox 360...so my room generally stays pretty warm.

Right now, with only Safari open my cpu is idling around 50 degrees C. Airport card is at 62, and my heatsinks are at 46, 47 respectively. Sometimes with nothing running my cpu will idle in the 40s, but that's rare. Now, when I begin watching video my cpu will heat up to around the mid to high 60s, or even the mid 70s. Encoding audio puts it in the 70s, and ripping with Handbrake levels out around 88. Handbrake and Windows 7 running in conjunction pushed it to 93...and that's when I turned Parallels off.

My Airport card will get up and stay in the 70s most of the time. It never really seems to cool down that much.

Are these temps normal?

I was getting strange issues earlier (my fans would randomly rev, my temps and fans weren't coinciding, my fans would stop and temps would automatically drop when I unplugged the power charger, etc.). I've since reset the SMC and everything has returned to normal, but the heat is still there. This MacBook gets very, very hot on the bottom and top, especially on the left where you plug the power in (top and bottom), and where your wrists sit. Actually, the only cool place on top is in the top right hand corner where the power button is - it never gets warm.

Now, the top panel is cracked where the right lid magnet touches when closed (where your wrist sits, known white MacBook defect). Could that be causing poor air circulation?

Thanks to everyone for reading my long post!

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Your MB is cooler than mine. Mid 2007 model. Temps are usually between 55 and 60. I use smcfancontrol to keep the minimum speed at 3k.