White Macbook in dock, power on via keyboard?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by robo456, Dec 10, 2013.

1. robo456, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

Hi all...

Just a quick question for dock users. I have a White Macbook that I wanted to buy a vertical dock for. (I'd like to put it to the side of my desk so it's out of the way... that's why I wasn't considering a traditional horizontal dock) It's mainly going to be stationary at my home, while going mobile every once in a while. It looks like my only real option is the Henge Dock.

So that brings me to my question. Clamshell mode on this one... If I buy a generic "windows-based" wireless keyboard and mouse (looking at the Logitech MK270 combo), will I be able to turn on the Macbook in the dock without the physical button? Or will I need to pick up an Apple bluetooth keyboard that has a 'power button' on it?

Thanks for any info!!

--rob

**EDIT**
    I found this on their website after some digging:
    Can I power the computer on if it is docked and powered off?

The computer must be on or asleep before docking since the power button is not accessible while docked. If the computer is shut down while docked remove it from the dock, power it on, and redock the computer. The MacBook can perform a full restart cycle and sleep wake cycle while it is docked.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Even the Apple Bluetooth keyboards won't power up. You need to leave it in sleep mode.

3. robo456 thread starter macrumors 6502

robo456