White Macbook instead of MBP for less glare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by buttlescutt, May 4, 2010.

1. buttlescutt macrumors newbie

Hello all,

So I'd like to get a Macbook very soon, and have been planning to get the white Macbook because I find the reflectiveness of the glass displays very distracting. Under perfect conditions - light background, screen tilted just right and so on - it's not a big deal, though even then seeing my hands moving in the black bezel or seeing lights move around in it as the screen wobbles can be a little distracting.

I'm wondering, though, if the white Macbook (2009) is going to be much better. Having a non-reflective bezel is nice, but it's really the screen that I'm worrying about. I know you can still get detailed reflections in the screen, even though they are more subdued than in the glass screens. Unfortunately my only comparisons have been in the Mac store, which is really brightly lit (in this case, it had giant floor-to-ceiling windows in two walls besides all of the fluorescent lighting).

So - anybody with similar concerns about reflections had any opportunity to compare these?

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

I have the current macbook, and at least indoors under bright lights, i don't notice the reflection unless the macbook is off or i'm really looking for the reflection. The macbook pro does have noticeably more reflection with that extra layer of glass.

I saw the 15" pro now has a matte high-res option. That's probably the best screen you can get.

3. buttlescutt thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that's helpful. I've considered getting the 15" antiglare but it feels absurd to spend an extra several hundred dollars just to get the better screen.

4. 81Tiger04 macrumors 6502

Ditto here. I like the bigger screen and the anti-glare but I just can't justify the extra $$$ ...