White MacBook MultiTouch?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JRobb, Nov 15, 2008.

1. JRobb macrumors newbie

Over in thishttp://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=582801 forum, they are talking about enabling multitouch on old Macbook Airs. They mentioned that it should be possible to do it on a later model Macbook(aside from the aluminum 2.0 model). If anyone could help, that would be cool. :cool:

-----------------------------

:apple: MacBook 4,1- 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 120 Gig hdd 10.5.5:apple:
    :apple: iPod touch, 1st gen.- 8 Gig, jailbroken 2.1!:apple:
    :apple: Broken iPod Shuffle, 1st gen. 512 Meg.:apple:

2. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Not that this post is much of a help, but that would be awesome if it could be done.

3. youssefm macrumors 6502

i doubt they could do it on the white macbook.. not only is it software but its a hardware thing too

4. JRobb thread starter macrumors newbie

The trackpad for the whitebook is supposed to be capable of multitouch, but only the latest non aluminum will work.

5. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

6. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

By the latest you mean February 2008 models, right?

Would be awesome.

So, there seems to be a way using Linux..this means there are (limited?) multitouch capabilities also on the white one..

7. Gleadr macrumors member

Gleadr

Umm yes white MacBooks can have multitouch there a no hardware stopping it ayou have to do is go in program files and make a quick software fix.

8. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Elaborate?

9. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Perhaps is someone could spoof the model # the trackpads kext will allow multi touch. I dont have a white macbook (yet) so i cant test, but in theory, if it is indeed just a software issue) you should be able to take some of the stuff form an AlumBook install and make it work on the WhiteBook.

10. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

Yes would be a nice gimmick, but in the end it wouldn't really matter for me. I knew that the multitouch trackpad would be getting standard soon (at the time I was in the market for a MacBook) but I decided that it's not worth waiting. And for me I was right. My White MB serves me well.

The .kext thing won't really work, because the trackpack is still too different than the one from the new MacBooks.

The newer ones have real multitouch and the white ones only can be modified experimentally as it seems. I guess only the guy in the video with the Linux mod could do it.

BTW: did you know that the multitouch trackpads can recognize up to 11 fingers? That was shown in another video I've seen while researching the topic.

11. CrockettGTO macrumors regular

I don't see what is preventing it, I have the 2.4GHz White MB just before the new aluminum released, it handles two finger scrolling great.

12. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

2-finger isnt the equivalent of multi-touch though. I suppose the first thing to figure out is if the whitebook's track pad can even recognize more than 2 fingers. I have no idea how one would do this, but it seems like a good starting point.

13. Kat King123 macrumors regular

Kat King123

srry for bumping an old thread but it can detect 3 fingers think about when your scrolling with two fingers when you put 3 fingers on the trackpad it doesn't scroll anymore does it? anyways i really want this to happen and my only hope is random truth who usally updates his blog every mounth or so:(

14. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Uhm the old guys in this thread won't have known this and might well do now, but for the bumper and anybody else who is unaware, Snow Leopard will make it possible for any laptop which can do two finger scrolling (but stops at three fingers) to have the rest of the multi-touch gestures. Just gotta pay that £20 or $29 to have Leopard upgraded.

15. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Unfortunately, this is not the case.

link to apple's page

Multi-Touch gestures in
    older Mac models.
    All Mac notebooks with Multi-Touch trackpads now support three- and four-finger gestures.

16. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Uh dude.. That's what I said! :)

17. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

you might (and one could hope) you are right. but that's exactly the point some of us are talking about.

The website says "all multi-touch" trackpads.

Though it's well knows that the old trackpads can detect more than one finger (which makes it multitouch in the meaning of the word) and even recognizes that you put three fingers onto it, it's not 100% sure if they will also have the new functions with SL.
    Because Apple never mentioned thw words multi touch trackpad with the Plastic MacBooks. (I *think* the real multi touch trackpads were first introduced with the MacBook Air and the early 2008 MBP, but didn't had all the software functions yet)

So I think the poster above meant this.

Didn't they already have the same two finger trackpads (the ones in the plastic MB) since the indroduction of the MacBook?
    I don't really think they are bringing the "new" functions too all those generations.

Though it would be great for everybody.