White macbook : no sound on HDMI

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PenguinApple, Jul 11, 2011.

1. PenguinApple macrumors newbie

PenguinApple

We have two Macbooks, one 2011 gray Macbook Pro and one white Macbook purchased feb 2010.
    We recently bought a Samsung UE32C6000 TV set and connected the MBP with a Mini Display adapter to an HDMI cable to the TV.
    The TV worked as a second display of the MBP and the sound played on the TV after I set the audio output to Samsung.
    So far so good.

Then I did the same with the white Macbook and the TV w orked as a second 1920x1080 display as well, but I could not set the sound output to the TV, the only option was 'internal speakers'.

Both PCs are updated to OSX 10.6.8 so what is the prblem here ? Hardware failure with sound output to HDMI on the white one ?
    The white one does output normally to headphones but not to HDMI.

Any ideas here ?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

iirc sound via display port is relatively new. You may have to route the sound another way on the white one

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If I recall correctly, the 2009 MacBook doesn't support audio over mDP. It was a new feature in the 2010 MBP, and it usually takes a year or two for those updates to transfer to the regular MBs, considering the mid-2010 update included it.

TEG