White Macbook "Not charging" tried all sorts!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by FangRock, Feb 17, 2011.

1. FangRock macrumors member

FangRock

Hello, I have a macbook that is out of warranty and recently stopped charging ("not charging" displayed next to battery icon in menu bar).

It runs ok from the Magsafe adapter but there are no lights on the adapter, orange or green, nothing - the orange and green lights work when it is plugged into my macbook pro.

Here is what I have tried:
    Replaced Magsafe adapter
    Replaced battery
    Reset SMC
    Replaced Magsafe DC in board (purchased from ifixit) and spent 2 hours fitting it!
    Reset SMC again

I don't know what else to do? Am I missing something simple or is it a logic board job? Do you know what an Apple logic board repair would be in the UK?

Any help would be appreciated. It's my wife's machine and I feel sorry for her having to keep it plugged in all the time.

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Sorry - but it is likely to be logicboard fault.

The only other component that might help is to swap the battery connector (the one from the battery to the logicboard.

Will the MacBook start without the charger connected ? That is assuming that there is still a charge in the battery.

Apple don't repair logicboards - just replace at a similar price to the cost of a refurbished machine - around £400-500 (!!!)

3. FangRock thread starter macrumors member

FangRock

Thanks logana

Yes, it will start from battery. I've got 2. The old one is out of charge but the new one has 10% left!

I don't think I'll bother Asking apple to replace the logic board!!

Alternatively, do you know of a way to charge batteries away from the machine?

4. lizcat68 macrumors newbie

lizcat68

There is not a way to charge batteries when they are not in the machine. I suggest going to the Apple store and talking to the people at Genius bar... when I did, they replaced my battery of my old Macbook for free (and it was not under warranty at the time). Don't bring the 10% battery along. Oh, and, by the way, I wanted to know how many cycles your battery had... it'll make a difference to whether or not they replace it. My old Macbook's battery had 593 cycles when we took it in. :)

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

How old is the MacBook ? Specs ?

It is possible to obtain used logicboards - the older the machine the cheaper it will be.

There are a few places that can repair MacBook logicboards in the UK but the charging side is the most difficult to work on.

I have seen external stand-alone MacBook chargers for sale (think early mobile phone desk chargers) but I don't think they are made anymore.

A quick look on eBay produced this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/External-Battery-Charger-APPLE-13-MacBook-A1185-/370350934567?pt=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item563aa2ca27.

Never used one but is a fairly cheap solution especially if you have 2 batteries for the MacBook..

6. FangRock, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011

FangRock thread starter macrumors member

FangRock

I think the Macbook is 2005. It's an Intel core duo (not core 2).

Battery1 has 356 charge cycles, battery2 has 3 cycles!

I have three magsafe adapters from other 13" macs and one I bought new so I know it is not the battery or charger.

I might look out for replacement logic board but I love the idea of the external charger - thanks for the link!