White Macbook or 13-inch Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Squirrelxb, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Squirrelxb macrumors newbie

I currently have the older black Macbook with 2.4 GHz processor and 2 gigs of RAM. I want to upgrade to a newer model with the more advanced graphics card, but I can't decide between the white Macbook or the aluminum Macbook Pro. My primary concern is the Pro's lack of a firewire port. Without this target mode is impossible, and so I was wondering how this affects the convenience of transferring files or repairing your system.

Secondarily, I am a little dissatisfied with the material used to make the shell of my current macbook, as it smudges easily and must be cleaned often. I am assuming that the new Macbook model is of the same material (if it isn't please correct me), so how are the aluminum macbook pros in the way of cleanliness compared to this?

Lastly, my father has suspicions that if we get an Aluminum macbook pro, there will be some sort of coupon or offer relating to obtaining Slow Leopard. Does this hold any water?

Thanks very much in advance :)

2. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

13" MBP

MagSafe power port

Two USB 2.0 ports

One FireWire 800 port

Mini DisplayPort

iSight camera

Full-size, backlit keyboard

SD card slot

SuperDrive

Whatever are you talking about? ;)

I think the MBP's are cleaner than the Macbooks. Aluminum ftw!

And yes, if you buy a MBP, you can purchase Snow Leopard in September for $9.95. Huzzah!

Hope this helps,

-Dustin

3. KB14 macrumors newbie

The new Macbook Pro has a firewire port, so no worries there. I think if you buy any Mac by September, you get an upgrade to Snow Leopard for $9.95

EDIT: Someone beat me to it lol

4. suekitch macrumors regular

I think you might have your wires crossed a little! The Macbook Pros DO have firewire, my 13" certainly does, maybe the MacBook is the one without it (I'm afraid I can't remember).

As for Snow Leopard - any new Mac bought now means that yes you will get a cheaper Snow Leopard. For anyone running Leopard already it'll cost $29, but any new Macs bought after June... 6th? I think?... can get Snow Leopard for the price of P&P (I believe it's $9.99 in the US, though I may be mistaken. £7.95 or something in the UK).

Are you a student? You can get quite nice discounts too, and AppleCare cheap, and the free iPod etc :)

5. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

"You must purchase a qualifying computer or Xserve between June 8 and December 26, 2009, that does not include Mac OS X Snow Leopard, and complete the order form and return it to Apple within 90 days of the date of your purchase or by December 26, 2009, whichever is earlier. The $9.95 includes shipping and handing fee, but does not cover tax for U.S. customers. This offer is good only in the United States and Canada. Likewise, the products must be purchased from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller located in the United States or Canada, or the Apple Online store.

Qualifying computers include most systems being currently sold by Apple, including their iMac, Mac mini, Mac Pro, MacBook, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air lines, although you should be sure to check the specific model number before purchasing just to make sure.

Once Apple receives the completed order form, the upgrades from inventory in stock will be shipped within 24 hours via U.S. mail (U.S. postal delivery typically takes 3 to 7 working days). Canadian orders may require additional delivery time due to customs processing.

If you want to upgrade to Snow Leopard on a system that does not qualify for this upgrade program, your cost will be $29."

Cheers. :D

:apple:Dustin

6. Squirrelxb thread starter macrumors newbie

EXCELLENT. I saw a comment on a review that said the same thing but I didn't think it had any validity... well I guess I've made my decision. Thanks for the info on Snow Leopard too :D

7. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

no problem, any time.

oh, and congrats on getting a new MBP. :D

:apple:Dustin

8. cjacks68 macrumors regular

cjacks68

I think you'll love the brighter, better screen on the 13" MPB too, its awesome!

9. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

Go MBP all the way...I've placed my MBP next to a new macbook and everything just looked better about it and most importantly- the screen. Well worth the extra dollars.