White MacBook OR 1G MBA... For the same price...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shanshor, Feb 17, 2009.

1. shanshor macrumors regular

Hey guys, I have the opportunity to buy another Mac, and I was wondering which i should get.

I have my choices narrowed down to the White MacBook (standard config) and the 1st Gen MBA (1.6ghz, bad graphics, 80 gigs)

Note: I posted a similar thread in the MBA forums to get a more... even... response. Sorry!

I love the big trackpad w/ multitouch over the POS trackpad on the white macbook. And I really don't care whether it is surrounded in plastic or metal.

I will be using my new MacBook/MBA for: Safari, iChat, Y! Messenger, Music, Video, and some Photos. The lack of USB or DVD drive isn't really a factor, I am just worried about 1.6ghz becoming obsolete in the next four years. I need it to last me four years.

What should i do?

2. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

If I were you I'd get the white macbook. For me portabilitiy isn't an issue, I just put it in my backpack and I barely feel the weight, of my 2.4 alu MB. It should be a bit faster than the air, minus the wow factor, but that goes away after a while, I think.

Plus, I've heard that elsewhere on the forums that the 1st gen air is problematic. So, I'd just buy a new white macbook, in my opinion that is Apple's best value priced computer at the moment.

3. RogueVasion macrumors regular

RogueVasion

For my choice, I'd go with the White Macbook.

The MBA is definitely a very innovative device, but like you said, lacks the new nVidia graphics and has a very small hard drive. I heard that Rev. A has had some issues (don't hold me to it, I could be wrong).

The White Macbook has always been a great product, especially with its new hardware advancements. It really makes it the most cost friendly Mac at the moment. They really aren't that different, since I am used to carrying my laptop everywhere.

But, From what it sounds like, I think you answered your own question. It sounds like you are pushing towards the MBA, it's just the processor you're worried about. Look at it this way, people are still using iBook G3s and are extremely happy with them. I doubt that the 1.6 GHz is going to cause a stink on what you plan on running with it in the next 4 years. People have their own opinions, just use us as an innocent bystander helping you make up your mind.

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

as a second computer, i think a macbook air would be good. as long as you don't plan to do much with it. for safari, email, etc. it's not just going to go obsolete.

it will be slower than the macbook. what's more important, size or performance?

5. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I'd go for the refurb Air in your situation. You have some great power at home so I say go for the portability and innovation of the MBA for when you're on the road.

6. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

id say go with the white macbook, its a lot more future proof then the macbook air. go with the white macbook, it isnt even that heavy, really light compared to other notebooks, and who knows, one day you may need the usb,firewire,superdrive and other things it comes with

7. shanshor thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, but I stumped you all, and myself, and got a great deal on a Alum. MacBook! Gets here tomorrow-saturday. I'll be sure to post a review :)

8. RogueVasion macrumors regular

RogueVasion

Well, that's even better. Aluminum Macbook is a great advancement in beauty!

I hope you like it, I know everyone else has. I really want one too (might wait to see what awaits with the supposedly new iPhone and WWDC).

Hope to hear your results soon! :)

9. whitebook macrumors regular

how great of a deal did you get if you dont mind me asking??? im looking around for an alu macbook atm for myself

10. OnceBitten macrumors member

11. shanshor thread starter macrumors regular

Hah. I got a refurbished one from apple for 1,099. 200 bucks off. It's the standard config, so you get a 160gb hd 2gb ram, 2.0 ghz, and the 9400m graphics. I believe they still have some

12. DiSFLyLaTiNa macrumors regular

i would get an MBA if it is going to be your second computer. If i had the money to spend on another computer i'd get an MBA for portability. BUT only if i had a home computer. OH I WANT ONE!!

OH you already got a computer. nevermind then. lol.

13. RogueVasion macrumors regular

RogueVasion

Wow, that is a pretty good deal.

With the Apple Care, it would come to about $1350, and that would make it a 3 year warranty.

The only downside is that you don't get the superb packaging Apple packages new ones in...

Who knows, if my accountant ends up getting me some cash back, I may pick one up myself. They are so amazing!:D

14. ptsube macrumors 6502

Should have got this one. No tax, free shipping and it's brand new. There are a couple other sellers with a similar price that ship from the U.S..