White Macbook or Aluminium?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by stanny, Apr 1, 2009.

1. stanny macrumors 6502

Which should I get, what's the difference? I am using it as a normal user, nothing fancy. What I am worried about is the screen, I heard LED backlight makes a huge difference. But the price jump is really steep, enough for 1 month's rent where I am from.

2. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

the white should be great. i kno many ppl who have gotten the high end aluminum only to say they shouldve gotten the white because they don't need the luxury or extra oomph of the new ones. i say white fer shure

3. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

The white is just as capable as the aluminum, except it has a little bit slower RAM. It is perfect for any normal user. The LED display in the new MacBook would be brighter, but that's up to you to decide if it's worth the extra money.

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The LED makes a huge difference. The white MacBook's screen looks really washed out in comparison.

5. vic32amg macrumors newbie

I recently got a black book (2.4Ghz 250GB HD )and I must say the screen is just fine. for those who act like it is night and day are kidding themselves. unless you are in need of metal and don't want firewire, get the white and a 7200 500gb Drive + ram and call it a day. I think there was a 200 off coupon somewhere on the white book as well. :apple:

PS. I am on my mac 5+ hours a day minimum. screen is fine.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...just do a search for dented Aluminum cases and Apple care trying hard not to cover repairs saying the accidental damage caused the issue... that should help you make up your mind for the whitebook...

7. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Same problem with cracking plastic on the white MacBooks... so that's not a differentiator.

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...actually it is, apple care will replace cracked plastic cases as its a know defect...

9. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Not always, it depends where the cracks are.

10. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

personally, I would go for the alu.
    I have had both and the brightness of the screen at about 40% is still a tad brighter than the old ones. Also, the build quality of mine is incredible, it looks gorgeous compared to anything else out there, including the old one. It feels incredibly sturdy because of the alu compared the the plastic. Also I have the back lit model, and it helps when in lectures.
    However, the killer feature for me is the trackpad, it is just phenomenal, its size, texture, clicking, multitouch, it makes things so much more efficient (like moving forward and back through webpages, right clicking, rotating, etc).
    Whether its worth the extra cash, I think so, many people think otherwise, and thats cool, we all have our own views.

11. Audi Rider macrumors newbie

i bought the white one a couple days ago. I m happy with it, alu looks cool but i don t need all of that flash. For the $$$ go with the white plastic and call it a day..

12. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

I would say that the white MB is the route to go. You said it yourself, it is hard to justify what would amount to another rent check just to upgrade. Don't get me wrong, the Alu look of the new MBs is quite nice, but in the end the ability to pay for it trumps how nice it looks on your desk. I chose my current computer to be a black MB last summer because I had my previous Alu laptop for 5 years and was getting bored with it. Also, being super OCD and taking care of my computer, the Alu was still a bit dented in the corners. In todays economic environment you just want to stay solvent.