White macbook or Dell?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jayjewels93, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Jayjewels93 macrumors newbie

I currently have a Dell Inspiron 15r that I bought in 2011. I am looking to get a Mac because they last longer and overall I enjoy them more. I don't have lots of money to spend though, should I get a used/refurbished white macbook or should I stay with my dell inspiron? which one would be more reliable in the long run?

2. malman89 macrumors 68000

Depends on the specs and most importantly how you treat it. I'd stick with the Dell - it should still be under warranty, unlike the white MacBook. The performance of the Dell should blow away the MacBook - I assume you have an i3/i5/i7 since you have a 2011 model and the MacBook will have a Core 2 Duo - huge difference.

Stick with what you have or save up for something new - not something already outdated.

3. danetello, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

danetello macrumors 6502

4. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I hate to recommend people NOT switch to Mac, but I kind of have to agree.

The Dell you have is a much more capable machine than the MacBook.

As for reliability, that's a tough call. There are always lemons of any product. I've seen Dells last many years and I've seen Macs last months. Those are the exceptions, not the norms. But even if the Dell and the Mac had the same life expectancy, the MacBook would be other and therefore die first.

The basic rule I have for Macs is buy the newest one you can afford.