White MacBook out of warranty question?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by trayanscragg, Jul 23, 2010.

1. trayanscragg macrumors regular

trayanscragg

So i have owned my early 2008 2.4ghz white macbook for a while now and my apple care has expired however i have noticed some visible hairline cracks at the bottom of the case where the heat is disposed from the heatsink.. i was wondering will apple still fix this problem for free or do i have to get a new bottom enclosure to replace this one if it gets worse? thanks

2. celticpride678

I think Apple will replace the top case for free because its a known issue.

3. trayanscragg thread starter macrumors regular

trayanscragg

Thanks for your reply. However does the same thing go for the bottom enclosure too, hence im out of warranty and apple care has expired?

4. eman macrumors 6502a

I have not had good luck with Apple replacing the lower case out if warranty for minor cracks.

5. cfs123 macrumors regular

I had a hard time but won in the end. My macbook began to crack but the rest was in almost new condition. At first they said that Apple does not take care of cosmetic issues, but when I showed them how "new looking" my computer was they decided to help out.

They took it, fixed the issue in two hours, and handed it back to me with a nice, deep scratch across the top running about an inch.

If you take your Macbook, or anything for that matter, to Apple to fix, be sure you have them document the condition before they take it. AppleCare is great but sometimes they can scratch you stuff.

cfs123

6. at0miq macrumors newbie

Hairline cracks on my aunt's Macbook 2007 recently appeared. Good thing it was still on (extended) Applecare. We brought it to an Apple store here in Manila and got it replaced.

The girl from the Apple store said that hairline cracks on top enclosure (the one with the keyboard) would be replaced by Apple WITH or WITHOUT WARRANTY IF the Macbook is still under 3 years from the time you bought it.

Since you bought your Macbook in 2008 Apple should replaced the enclosure since it's still under the the 3 year phase. However, like what I said, only hairline cracks on the top enclosure (the one with palmrest, keyboard, trackpad) would be replaced and not the bottom one with the heat enclosure.

7. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Known design flaw

I think the hairline cracks were caused by a design flaw with the MacBook, I think, so that's why Apple won't mind replacing it in the majority of cases.

8. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

They are replacing mine and it's 3.5 years old. This time they are also replacing the monitor bezel as it comes in the kit. Hopefully the new design won't break as easy.

9. trayanscragg thread starter macrumors regular

trayanscragg

thanks for your reply guys, theres a tiny crack on the corner of my keyboard and some hairline cracks along the bottom where the heatsink is.. do i need to take my macbook into store or can i just phone them up ?

10. exsanguinate macrumors member

I took my old MacBook to an Apple store with cracks on the top and bottom casing. They agreed to fix the top case as is was a known issue, but were going to charge me for the bottom. I complained that it seems ridiculous that they would replace the top and not the bottom, and they eventually agreed to do both for free. You may find it more difficult being out of warranty, but it's worth a go.

11. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

I don't know if Apple's policies are any different where you live, but I had cracks on the palmrest of my MacBook 2,1 (Mid 2007) and literally 3 days ago I took it to the Apple Store at Pacific Centre in Vancouver and they fixed it for free. New keyboard, trackpad, display bezel, literally everything is new once it's opened up. It took about 3 hours, same day repair :) The rule is that Apple will only fix it if it's within 3 years of the purchase date.

12. gtimark macrumors member

I have a similar problem with my white early '08 13" MB - hairline cracks on top and bottom case. I didn't experience any satisfaction from the Apple repair facility when I shipped it in for repairs. So, today, I'm taking it down to the Apple Store (80 miles away!) to see if I can have better luck with the Geniuses in person. BTW: I have the extended Apple Care policy on it. I'll get back later this afternoon with the outcome. Hopefully, I will have the Canadian Experience of the previous poster!

13. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

Genius Bar will almost always give you better support :) No joke, they even introduced me to the technician that fixed my laptop.. and he told me he noticed my CPU heatsink + fan assembly was dusty so he cleaned that out too. All this on a THREE YEAR OLD laptop that Apple has no obligation, legal or otherwise, to fix. This experience alone has given me more faith in Apple than ever; I will never return to Windows.

14. gtimark macrumors member

I'm moving North! :) I did have better luck at the Bar yesterday, but the first response was, "well, this is normal wear-and-tear." I balked at that, and -- miraculously -- the tech said, "let me see if my manager will OK the replacement of the cracked parts." Well, the manager OK'ed it, and they are replacing the display assembly AND the lower case. They have to send it out -- busy store?? -- for repairs. However it is free of cost to me. My main beef is the fact that I had to "grovel" for the replacement of obviously flawed parts. I am NOT an abuser.

Now, hopefully, the MB will arrive back without any issues from the repair facility!

I have mixed feelings about Apple Service, but I'm sure it's better than I would have received from HP.

15. koco macrumors newbie

Its funny how the personnel at the genius bar will make it seem like they are doing you a big favor in replacing the cracked case. I think they are just trained that way.

Its also funny how the cases seem to crack in the areas that are exposed to the most heat like near the vents. The replacement cases are a different plastic formulation. The plastic cases are super cheap to manufacture in China.

Its good that a technician here in the US can remain employed by replacing macbook cases. Its a relatively small expense for the company. I guess otherwise the excess profits just go to fund a better house/car/private jet, etc. for an exec.

So bring your cracked mac in for repairs and keep a technician employed. :)