Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phalewhale

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
I'm in a bit of a pickle as to what to buy and would like to hear some opinions please.

I have £1300 to blow on a new computer purchase. I recently got the MBP and returned 2 of them because of vertical backlight bleeding problems at the bottom of the screen. Anyway, I'm typing this from my work macbook white and although the screen is a bit more washed out than the pro, it's OK. However it's an old model with only 512mb of RAM and an Intel GMA950

If I were to go for the new macbook white I'd be maxing out RAM at 4GB and it would obv have the Intel GMA X3100. But I'd also be able to buy the 20" ACD which is probs gonna be the last of the Apple Matte displays. So...

Macbook White
4GB RAM (crucial)
320GB 7200 HD (WD)
20" ACD Matte
16GB White iPhone

Macbook Aluminium 2.0/2.4 (not sure yet)
4GB Apple RAM (cheaper than crucial!)
320GB 7200 HD (WD)
LG L206WU display (black with white base - only £150)

The only thing that's stopping me with the white macbook is the graphics - i might be playing a few games on it - MS Flight simulator X, The Sims 3 when it comes out, Football Manager 2009...

Any thoughts/opinions?

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
The white macbook will be no good for games at all. So I'd say go with the Alu version. Besides, the ACDs will probably be updated at MWSF 09. So you will probably be waiting anyways...hah. Best of luck!

phalewhale

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
The matte will be gone though...

Yeah, it seems as if the ACD's will eventually be updated this coming MW - but if they are all gonna be glossy display's with glass on top like the 24" LED display recently released I've a feeling I'm gonna wish I'd bought the current ACD's since they are matte. Surely some games are playable on the white macbook?!

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
I'd pick up the 2.0 Alu Macbook. The white Macbook is useless for games, and the .4 drop in megahertz from the white model is negligible. The faster system bus and memory will easily offset the loss in clock speed. Dell have a 23" Full HD Display on there site for £175. Okay so it wont even touch the Cinema Display, but its cheap and cheerful.

phalewhale

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
So does everyone agree that the white macbook will not run the games I mentioned above?

Microsoft Flight Simulator X
Football Manager 2009
The Sims 3

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
So does everyone agree that the white macbook will not run the games I mentioned above?

Microsoft Flight Simulator X
Football Manager 2009
The Sims 3

Sims 3 will probably be fine but not sure of the others.

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
dont downgrade due to money concerns....buy the new alum macbook..you will be happier over the 3-4 years that you use it.

white macbook doesnt play high-intensity games well...alum macbook plays them fine...plus the trackpad, screen, and alum unibody design is worth the couple hundred bucks more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.