White Macbook - Post your Color Profile

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by amabo, May 20, 2009.

1. amabo macrumors member

Hello. I'm looking for some great color profiles for the white macbook with or without the new nVidia chip in it. I don't believe it will make a difference whether or not the chip is in there since it's the same display, but it is preferable to have it.

Can anyone help me out? I would greatly appreciate it!

2. hndn macrumors regular

3. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

From what I understand, every screen is different, even if you have the same MacBook. So there can't be a "universal" MacBook color profile. Am I wrong?

4. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

I have my '09 Whitebook set to 'sRGB IEC61966-2.1' (one of the included profiles) and it looks great.

5. ihabime macrumors 6502

You are correct, color properties can vary between different makes of panels and even between different production runs of the same panel.

As far as I know the 2009 macbooks have used 2 different panels, I'm not sure about the older macbooks, but they have probably used more than one as well.

If you need proper color matching, such as for professional graphics work, you need to use hardware calibration for your unique screen.

If you're just doing it for looks, you might as well use the Display Calibrator in system preferences.

I suppose using someone elses profile saves a bit of time mucking about with calibration, but it won't give you a better look than you could have made yourself. Plus there is probably a bit of a placebo effect from using someone elses 'perfect' profile.

6. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

There are 3 white macbooks in my apartment and the screens are all different. Changing the gamma to 2.2 improved mine a lot.

7. amabo thread starter macrumors member

I have changed the gamma to 2.2, but I'm just really upset on how bad the blues / greens turn up on mine. Using the expert mode of the Color Utility tool really didn't have good results for me.

As far as their not being a universal color profile for a certain type of laptop, that's fine. I'm just looking to try some different color profiles of people using the same laptop and seeing if I get desirable results.

8. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I use the color profile, "Monitor Profile.icc", in the thread below. It is posted by "AbsenceOfTruth" six posts from the top on page 1.

I have an LG LCD on my late 2006 MacBook and this color profile works very well. If this profile doesn't work well for your MacBook LCD there are other color profiles in this thread you can try.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=325971&highlight=color+profiles

9. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

I tried the profile you recommended, and it is awfully warm. Maybe I'm used to super-cool temp. profiles.

10. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

Unfortunately, it all depends on the LCD make and model in your MacBook.

One color profile will look good with one LCD make and model and horrible with another.

On my MacBook's LG Philips (9C5F/5F9C) LCD this color profile looks really good. Not too warm at all.

11. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

I've got the same panel as you (9C5F)...After a couple of hours, this looks good now. My profile was far too cool. bluish whites FTL.

12. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

My LCD was originally way too cool and blue. It was almost blinding and that color profile helped a lot.

That would be great. At the moment I can't justify the purchase ($68) for my three Macs. Perhaps in the future.

13. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

You only need one.

14. MacWinGuy macrumors newbie

I Finally Got One.........

After trying with different color calibrations, I was so frustrated with my new macbook 13" white, then after few more .icc profiles from this forum, i finally got "Monitor Profile.icc" posted from "gogojuice" (post no#23) at :-

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=325971&highlight=color+profiles

I RECKON EVERYONE SHOULD GIVE IT A GO BEFORE SPENDING ON CALIBRATIONS......SAVE YOUR TIME.

THANKS A LOT MATE .