White MacBook Question or MBP ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Wicked1, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

My 15 soon to be 16 year old son is looking at the White MacBook, which I have no problem letting him buy the question is I have a uMB which I have had for 2 years and has held up, but does the new white one crack anymore.

I would rather him get the uMBP 13" if it does, the money difference is not much and he really takes care of his gear, so just wondering if there is any reason not to get the white one, since I can get a refurb for $850 and the uMBP 13 is $1,000.

Looking from advice for those who have owned both or currently own the White MB.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I haven't heard of issues of the white unibody model cracking like the old one, so that wouldn't be a bad idea, especially if he really takes care of his stuff.

3. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I've owned both. The design of the newer one prevents the cracking, particularly around the palm rests, like the older one. The bottom line is it's a solid piece polycarbonate instead of just plastic, and the place where the cracking occurred on the older one, there is no longer seam.

4. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

I'd be a little wary of the white unibody Macbook developing cracks near the hinge. Of course we're possibly talking about isolated incidents here (let's hope) ...:

[​IMG]
    (picture wasn't taken by me)

Maybe I've just grown to be a bit too skeptical after having owned the white crackBook for four years, during which the top-case had to be replaced three times.

5. Wang Foolio macrumors regular

The MBA starts at $999 in the US right? That's what I'd be looking at, personally :)

6. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Speaking for myself, I have a 2007 Macbook with FW400. I find FW so useful, including target disk mode (but also backup performance) that I would always choose a system with FW over one without ("other things being equal"). Recognizing that other people don't care about any of this, and, do care more about graphics performance.