White Macbook Question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Geoff., Jun 1, 2009.

1. Geoff. macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Im soon to be a new mac user never used one before. Long time PC user. My macbook white is ment to be shipped here to me in ireland on wednsday. I knew before hand that a lot of people's got cracks but it didnt really bother me because i am going to take really good care of mine and it wont even be leaving my house. But after buying it i found out that even people who care really good care of theirs still get cracked. Everyones reply is 'just bring it into the apple shop they'll fix it' well there is no apple shop in ireland so i cant do that. I want no cracks at all ( few straches wont bother me that much ) but i dont know how to prevent them ? Any tips ? I was looking at Marware protection pack to prevent cracks anyone know if that is anygood ? Or what should i do ? Thanks guys

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Most people don't get cracks. Mine is 2.5 years old. No cracks.

3. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Good to hear but didnt apple even admit that its prone to crack

4. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Well, they fix it FOC, so yeah :)

5. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Yeah but it my thread i said theres no apple store in ireland so i would have to ship it to them and that would be quite annoying. There is a shop in dublin that does warrenty repairs for apple computers they charge 20 euro for delivery. But i dont want to be worrying about repairs i want to make sure it doesnt crack. How would i go about that ? Im going to make sure i keep really good care of it anyway.

6. tekio macrumors regular

There's plenty of Authorized Service Providers in Ireland than can do repairs, I don't take good care of mine & it hasn't cracked.

7. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

Apple have actually admitted to the cracks. And they will replace it even if you are out of warranty. (like i did :D)

8. JDee macrumors 6502a

There have been a lot of people who have had cracks on their white book, and lots who haven't.

Just depends if you're lucky or not.

9. Mhmm macrumors member

As I understand it, the cracks are made because of the overly strong magnet and the little thingies that make sure the screen doesn't touch the keyboard... so if you close it with care, and make sure you don't put too much pressure on the computer (throw it in a backpack where it's going to be tight, etc.) you should be fine.

However, I've never owned a MacBook so other owners could corroborate the above as I'm not 100% sure that's the cause.

10. MedHead macrumors regular

While there's no apple stores I know of plenty of apple authorized retailers in Cork and Dublin, think there's a company in Limerick too.

In other words dont worry as they'll be able to sort it out for you!

11. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

If you're that worried about this then move out of Ireland.

Seriously... what are you going to do if there are other problems? You'll still have to ship it somehere. And "cracking" should be the least of your worries anyway as the mac will still be functional and you can at least send if off when it's convenient.

12. secondfox macrumors member

secondfox

The cracking should get fixed for free, right? If that's the case, then, if there are no alternatives, €20 isn't bad for the repair.

13. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Thats a bit extreme. Moving country because of an apple store. Im not a freak.

@ everyone else.

Thanks for all the help. If anything needs repairing i will contact these guys

http://www.mactivate.ie/

Quote Straight from there website

and 20 euro for a courier to collect it is fine

14. Chozo macrumors member

That is an absolutely ridiculous reply. I can't believe you wrote that and approved of it before hitting submit.

Geoff, if you treat the Macbook with care you will most likely not have problems. As stated earlier in this thread by Mhmm, if you close the Macbook with care and do not let a lot of weight sit on it, your chance of getting cracks are minimal.

I've had my Whitebook since August and every time I close it, I do it very gently not letting the magnet snap it down. No problems.

15. Geoff. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Yeah i will treat it with great care as i was planning to and will be very carefull when closing it thanks for that tip :)

16. Houls macrumors member

White

I've had mine for 8 months and no cracks. I use mine at least 4 hours a day. I do wipe it down and try to take good care of it. I'm not concerned about scratches, just treat it well and you shouldn't have any problems.

17. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Get real. The comment was made "tongue in check".

18. excommie macrumors regular

I heard that moshi palm guard can help prevent cracks on the topcase, so I bought it and it looks great. This palmguard gives you extra layer of plastic between the magnet and top case, so it looks like it'll do the trick.

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

20. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

OP, you have my most unreserved apologies. Your post made me decide to check out my MacBook today more closely and have found a hairline crack under the rear vent. I called Apple and I'm good to go with a case replacement. They are very small so easy to miss without close inspection, I guess. I'm sure there was no cracks a month or two ago when I last checked everything over. :rolleyes:

21. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

Everyone who gets cracks on their whitebooks should get it replaced by a 2.0ghz unibody macbook :D