White MacBook Refurb (3wk old) - New Logic Board :(

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jamin100, Nov 16, 2008.

1. jamin100 macrumors 6502

Just had my first genius experiance with apple today.

About 3 weeks ago I purchased a £529 basic whitebook from the refurb store. Everything was great with the machine until i tried to upgrade the RAM.

The first 2GB stick went in fine, but the 2nd (nearest the middle) was really tight. I read that sometimes you have to push really hard to seat it properly, but i've put enough RAM into laptops to know when to stop.

So today i took my whitebook to the apple store and explained all this to the genius. He took the topcase off to have a closer look. On inspection he noticed that there was a piece of plastic from the keyboard preventing the RAM from going in.

It also looks like this plastic has damaged the logic board abit.

Along with this issue I also found that the isight light would come on when i'm not using the camera. I reset the PRAM and SMC but every 4 - 5 boots it would happen again.

So the genius concluded that the logic board and keyboard (top case) will have to be replaced.

I'm now without my macbook for 7-10 days whilst its repaired. I wouldnt mind but its only 3 weeks old :(

2. Saganomics macrumors newbie

Sucks, but hey- at least 7-10 days is nothing compared to the time it would take to send a different brand laptop back to its manufacturer to have it fixed.

3. jamin100 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeh this isnt a rant. I'm actually quite happy that they just took it in no questions asked. I mean they could of said that i did it. But i'm 100% sure that I didnt. But they just took it off me for repair.

Just dissapointed that i'll be without it for 7 - 10 days.

Guess i'll have to use the GF's windows machine

4. jamin100 thread starter macrumors 6502

UPDATE: Got the macbook back last night in A1 condition. Really pleased. You cant even tell they have had the case open.

Anyway they also gave me a copy of the bill!! of course the macbook was under warranty so i didnt have to pay but if i did this is what it would of cost

Keyboard = £60
    Logic Board = £405
    Labour = £75

Total = £540!!

I only paid £529 for the macbook to begin with lol