white macbook screen problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shan21, Jan 26, 2010.

1. shan21 macrumors regular

it makes the start up noise but no light on the screen,
    my friend done the firewire transfer to copy all my data across so i know its not completly dead.

and when doing the firewire transfer it comes up with a grey screen so i know the screen isnt broke.

any help on a fix?

2. kevinspellman macrumors newbie

I would recommend using your Mac OS X install disc, starting the machine, and holding down the [alt] key. When you do this, select the OSX disc, and run disk utility to make sure your hard drive is in good health. If you have backed up your data, run a clean install, or archive and install on a leopard disc, or if a snow leopard disc just reinstall the OS and transfer your data back via firewire.

3. adamatic521 macrumors newbie

I have had a somewhat similar problem where I can wake my computer from sleep and the screen is black. If I restart my computer I hear the startup noise and sometimes the problem goes away, other times the gray screen with the Apple logo flashes and then the screen goes dark again. I know after it having happened a few times that the screen is on but the backlight is not. If you shine a light toward the screen can you see anything on the screen? I am also trying to figure out what the issue is but I have read that it is either the inverter or the backlight itself.