White macbook SSD upgrade - Safely

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Retouch, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Retouch macrumors newbie

Hi, i am thinking of upgrading the 80gb HD of my white 2007 (i think) macbook to an SSD, i have checked and found it is compatible.
    My worry is how im going to go about it; my macbook came with OS 10.4 as standard which i upgraded to 10.6 directly. i plan to use my external WD HD to backup my current system using Time Machine and then transfer onto the new drive. Is it in my best interest to reinstall 10.4 then 10.6 as fresh before doing the time machine transfer?? Hope that makes sense

P.s. I am a music producer and losing plugins and settings is not an option.

Thanks in advance
    Retouch :)

2. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

You can just boot using the 10.6 instal dvd and then you can just restore the time machine backup to the ssd.

3. Retouch thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that, i had thought that might be the case but just to clarify : the disc i have for 10.6 is i presume just an upgrade disc i brought from apple, is this going to act as a full install disc.

Thanks again

4. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

Correct, just put it in and follow the instructions.

5. mcdonap macrumors member

It might take a bit longer, but you can make an exact copy through disk utility. (Obviously you'd also need the proper cable to the new drive...) This is what I did, (I also have an '07 MacBook), and I didn't lose anything in the upgrade.

You can then easily check to make sure you didn't lose anything by booting from the SSD while it's still external.

Good luck! I've been extremely pleased with my SSD.

6. Retouch thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks alot for your help im looking forward to sorting this,,,,,logic pro and a standard 2007 macbook are not the best of friends :)

7. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I also have a 2008 white Macbook. One question I have...since the MacBook SATA speed is only 1.5, will current SSD drives rated at 3.0 work ok? Or is there something that needs to be set to have it transfer at the slower speed? On an old desktop PC, I had to move a jumper on the drive to have it run at 1.5 instead of 3.0. Thanks!

8. mcdonap macrumors member

I can't speak for all the drives out there, but my OWC was ready to go out of the box. I didn't have to set any jumpers or anything. It was as easy to do as a RAM upgrade!