White MacBook still having discoloration problems?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by falling5tarr, May 6, 2007.

1. falling5tarr macrumors newbie

I am planning on buying a macbook in the near future. I really want the white one, but if it is still having problems with turning yellow on the track pad, and arm rests, I will go with the black. However, I am trying to stay away from that because I don't want to shell out an extra $200.

I haven't come across many recent posts about this problem, and I was wondering if it has been resolved for the newer models. I would greatly appreciate any insight!

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I believe that it has been fixed, but over several years it will still discolor, the problem was that it was doing it very fast.

3. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

Was it happening to the Core Duo models more than the Core 2 Duo models by the way?

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

IIRC the problem was with the CD but I may be wrong about that.

5. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

It has to do with the casing not the processor. It was only the first set of white Macbooks which had the problem. It was corrected halfway through. So the Core 2 duo models should be mostly exempt from this issue.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

My C2D is 5 months old now and shows no signs of discolouration even though it is used about 6-8 hours a day although the palmrests are starting to get a little shiny.

7. falling5tarr thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe I should just purchase some of those arm rest protectors just to be safe.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Small money for piece of mind. Go for it.

9. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

Ah ok good, I was just worried I would have to deal with that issue with the current C2D MacBooks.. thanks!

10. recordprod macrumors member

I saw a C2D demo machine in a shop today (Toys R Us!) that looked badly discoloured however just because the ticket said C2D doesn't mean it was, I didn't have time to check. Our Dec 06 white C2D looks good still, needs a new battery though.

11. ..........? macrumors member

Don't use the display as a reference to the discoloration since demo models are touch by anyone with dirty hands. But if you use the macbook with dirty hands it will become dirty eventually even with clean hands it will get yellowish since our hands will leave dead skin cells and our sweat is acidic. So i recommend some sort of protection. I don't have a macbook but I have a 12" ibook.

You can try to clean it with Mr.clean magic eraser(make sure it is near dry before you use it) and/or the white eraser trick. I try both and they are quite decent.

12. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

13. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

It's more to do with the pours in the plastic then the actual grime on the palm rest. From what I understand the first run of them could not be cleaned because the dirt (lets call it dirt instead of pondering on what it could be) seeped into the pours of the plastic.

But as he said, Mr Clean is the way to go as it should mostly be surface 'dirt'.