White Macbook Trackpad Making Clicky Sound

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dL., Jan 18, 2009.

1. dL. macrumors 6502

I sort of recall someone complaining about this in the past. Well now mine is happening.

Maybe I click on the left side wayy too much, but my trackpad button on the white Macbook is starting to make this annoying "click" sound on the left as if it's hitting some metal underneath. The right side sounds totally silent and normal.

I was wondering if anyone have this issue and whether AppleCare would fix it or not? It doesn't affect functionality, but kinda annoying and I would like to see if I can use my AppleCare for it or not.

Thanks!

dL

2. dL. thread starter macrumors 6502

3. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

Yeah I've had this problem before, it's really annoying but I don't know if they will fix it for you…

I had my MacBook's bottom case repaired after I got a different problem and it fixed it, so maybe opening it up and seeing if there's something under there might help.

At one point I got so frustrated I pressed the button a hundred times or so and it stopped for a little, so there's your temporary solution :)

A new topcase is another option, check eBay for parts and iFixit for the guides.

4. dL. thread starter macrumors 6502

Well good news. I brought it to Genius Bar yesterday and they are going to replace the entire top case for me including the trackpad :D

Apple is the best :)

dL

5. jkimbro0316 macrumors regular

Wow I never thought that they would do that, well since mine has been doing the same thing for a little while, maybe I should go see if they can fix mine. Do you think they'd still offer repairs for Black MacBooks even if they don't sell them anymore?

6. dL. thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea give it a try, as long as you're still under warranty. I find Apple support to be excellent. I showed the Genius my trackpad and he already agreed that there is something wrong and he pointed out that the trackpad button is slanted and it's abnormal. So he issued a repair to replace the entire top case (basically the whole keyboard/trackpad plate)

Well to conclude, I picked up my Macbook today. Everything is perfect :) Feels like I am picking up a brand new Macbook as the keys and trackpad palm rest area is white again :) I also find the keyboard a lot sturdier than before.

Good job Apple Support! :cool:

dL

7. blue-lion macrumors member

track pad making noise

my track pad has always made this annoying noise since i got a few months ago, i just thought it was supposed to do this??.. i have to physically click (displace the surface) the track pad to simulate mouse button,etc.. being pressed, is this a problem then :confused:?