White MacBook UK Price Increase

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mattrgee, May 28, 2009.

1. mattrgee macrumors member

They can't be serious! The price of a White Macbook has just increased from £729.00 to £749.00! Ok, so there's been a slight hardware refresh but that doesn't justify increasing the price, has the price stayed the same in the US?

2. baddj macrumors 6502

The US cost is still 999$USD and the cost in AU is 1,599.00$AUD so the AU cost has come down by 51bucks i think it gos by the exchange rate etc.

3. Zagreus macrumors member

Zagreus

They are probably re-alligning the prices to make it fairer across the world. The slight increase in power is probably a more a stimulus to changing prices as opposed to the reason itself, just a sign of the economic climate I suppose.

4. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

White Macbook without VAT is now £651,30. At the moment that is $1034.
    White Macbook was what, £625 without VAT yesterday? on 14 October it appears that amount was around $1075.

5. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

And if you happen to be in the US, at the current exchange rate you could pop into an Apple store and buy yourself one for £630+ tax

6. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Ok, so the pound regains ground over the dollar - yet Apple increase the price? That's not exactly fair. Means their profits have increased on two fronts...

7. timROGERS macrumors member

It's a bit annoying but not that awful.
    On the basic student discount it only costs £25 more for faster processor, 40GB more space and half an hour extra battery - doesnt seem bad to me!

And you can get a cheap iPod Touch.

8. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

apple truly does take the p*** when doing pricing for any other country apart from the US.
    The countries that are actually next to the places where apple computer are made have to pay 1.5x as much as the US, its ridiculous!

9. kpark42 macrumors newbie

The price for the White Macbook went down in the Euro area by 50 Euros. Looks like they did do some adjusting.

10. nerdish macrumors regular

Really does take the biscuit, £719 to £749 - but i still think i'll get one, seems a decent machine for what i need on the go.

11. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Guess now it explains why PC World dropped the price on the 2Ghz

12. priller macrumors regular

Another price rise :mad: No wonder people buy hackintoshes when apple keeps screwing people on prices.

13. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

It's funny because when the £ was strong against the $, for years, Apple never altered prices. Now it's gone the other way and it's a joke to buy a Mac in this country. Go to the USA and buy one there - that's what I say!

14. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Indeed, what happned when we were getting over $2 to the £ or when it then plummeted to around the $1.40 mark?

15. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

I've been wanting to replace my whitebook with something modern... i might just get a refurb instead of something new.

I wonder if apple cut the prices like some rumors say, it'll be a US region exclusive. like the appleTV

16. L0s7man macrumors 6502

Europe is ALWAYS more expensive than UK, when it comes to laptops and computers. When Apple set their prices, the dollar was cheap. Now dollar is expensive, so they're getting less. So they've upped the prices.

Best example Aluminium Macbook -> costs the same in US as in UK (within slight deviation depending on the exact exchange rate), while for comparison, Macbook Pro, iMac, Mac Pro are much cheaper in US.

If uMB sees and update at WWDC, it'll see a price increase too...

17. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

Problem is it's getting harder to justify a mac, as much as you want one you can get a well specced and fairly well made (sure, it's not ALU but better made than a plastic macbook- sorry, but they are pretty bad compared to most notebooks in their price bracket) PC

Apple feels like they are the only company raising their prices, or at least it's the most visible because they were already expensive

18. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

While I think the price rise was unjustified this time, The White macbook is only £27 more here than in the States when you take tax into account. It's only worth getting one from the states if you were planning to go there anyway. Plus it costs £58 for a magSafe adapter. Might as well by it in the UK.