White Macbook Won't Boot

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Coops46, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Coops46 macrumors member

Hi,
    I recieved a replacement macbook a year ago in exchange for my previous which went kaput. On my current macbook, i've had to have the palm rest replaced (again) and now here's the bigger problem...

I opened the lid on the machine and everything loaded then froze. I forced a shutdown and after that it just stayed on the apple screen for ages and then finally got thru to a blue/grey screen that flickered tones. I forced shut down again and tried:

Disk utility - Repairing disk and permissions.
    Took battery out and pushed power button for 10 seconds or so.
    Reset PRAM.
    Attempted to start up in safe-mode - didn't work.

Now I'm stuck, I'm not better off than when I started, could anyone reccomend anything else? I've book a genius appointment but I'd rather leave that to a last resort because i'll only accept a replacement this time.

Thanks for any help!
    Dan

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You could try to archive & install your system, that would eliminate the possibility of anything on the software end. Of course, you'll have to run your updates all over again and some applications may need to be reinstalled, but if that doesn't fix your issue its probably hardware-related.

3. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

I had the same issue about a month ago. Turned out to be a faulty hard drive. Try restarting your computer in Target Disk Mode (turn on the computer and immediately hold down the T key). If you can't access your hard drive through TDM then your problem is most likely the hard drive.

4. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Your hard drive most likely failed, it is a simple repair to do really (easier than changing RAM), thus you have nearly no chance of getting a replacement. Look at it this way: all notebook computers use the same hard drive, so Apple really couldn't have done anything here.