White MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Greg173, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Greg173 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. Well I brought my white early 2009 MacBook to apple today because it is cracking at the hinge near the speakers. They told me that the cracking isn't under warranty. Is this true or is only the top case covered? I can post a pic soon. It runs the whole length of the inner part of the hinge.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

A lot of people have better luck calling Apple support instead of bringing it into the store. Try calling them.

3. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

I thought this cracking stuff was rectified on the later models:confused:

4. joehahn macrumors regular

it's pastic.....it crack. that would be like saying that you can't dent the new 2009 alubooks. your situation sucks, but as long as it still opens and closes, and is functional, be happy

5. Igantius macrumors 65816

In the past, some people have reported that they were told that this kind of damage (without seeing a picture, I would bet money it’s the same kind as yours!) is cosmetic – which isn’t covered under warranty. So you’re not alone.

Other people got theirs fixed no problem – it does seem that you take pot luck who you ask.

I know that some people who said they were turned down to get theirs fixed, got the parts replaced for free by trying again – so I would certainly take miles01110’s advice.

Also, a lot of people have reported that Apple will fix this problem when the machine is out of warranty, no questions asked – so do I would keep this in mind.

Nope, although the problem is probably more common on older machines.

The cracking problem may well be to do with the moulding process, which I believe is a liquid injection one – on a (non-Mac) tech forum, I found a couple of interesting threads about this and it was reported that similar cracks appear on other products that use the same kind of manufacturing process, so this was being put forward as a possible culprit.

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Use an AASC or call the Apple support line. I have heard way too many problems with store staff finding reasons to decline claims.

Cheers,

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

That's a massive load of BS.

The case shouldn't crack under normal conditions. Most every laptop is made from plastic, but Apple chose to go with a more fragile plastic setup with the Polycarb MacBooks it seems..

8. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

Exactly.

I have many plastic electrical products and compliances that have lasted well over the years under normal usage without any signs of cracking or deterioration.

9. Igantius macrumors 65816

In the threads I mentioned above, there were reports of laptops by other manufacturers getting cracks, as well as products you wouldn't necessarily think that would be that stressed.

Also, on various forums I've read people with Acer, Asus, Dell etc. laptops who have reported cracks developing - particularly along the hinges (rather like the OP). Certainly, I've read more reports with the MBs, but I wouldn't say the problem is unique to Apple.

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

That's true, but at least in my experience I've never seen/had a laptop crack. IBM, Dell, HP and even my G4 iBook...not a single crack/fracture.

I'm sure the MB cracking problem is over-represented here too, just because this is a forum, and people will only post about something like that when it happens/goes wrong...but still, it's a pretty poor situation.

11. MAYBL8R macrumors member

MacBook casing

I recently took my 2007 White MacBook to the Apple Store for the same cracking on the inside casing and they replaced it without question in an hour.

12. Greg173 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I wasn't able to chime in I work nights. But yea it's regualr use. I keept the computer on a computer desk all day. And when I do Need to bring it with me, it goes into the incase sleeve and into a padded laptop backpack. It really pissed me off that my new MacBook is cracking and the genius/stupid lol basically told me to deal with it and it still works. I'm worried because the hinge creaks when I have to move it. But I'll take your guys advice and give apple a call. Thanks for the info. I will take a pic of the cracking on my lunch break. I'm gonna post them from my iPhone so I apologize in advance lol.

13. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

14. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I third this. AppleCare reps >>>>>Genius bar employees

15. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

I agree as well. Geniuses are great for diagnosing, but if you already know your problem you should go straight to Applecare, they'll always take care of you.