white macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ant043, Oct 22, 2009.

  1. ant043 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2008
    Location:
    Ireland
    #1
    Well guys

    I bought a 17 inch macbook pro a few days ago but i'm now having second thoughts especially with the introduction of these new quad core imacs. I do quite a bit of video editing and a quad core processor would definitely interest me. I need the 17 inch to last at least three years without slow down. I'm thinking of returning the 17 inch and instead of buying one of the new white macbook unibodies to hold me out until next year. I just think spending a massive amount of money on a core 2 duo machine now is madness. Do you think this is a good choice ? and if apple might have quad cores in their notebooks by 2010 ? thanks
     
  2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2009
    #2
    Well, I would think you got a 17-inch Mac for a reason. But if you can handle the smaller screen and lesser ports, I'd say go for it.
     
  3. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2009
    #3
    teh 17 inch is more then futureproof for 3 years of video and photo editing, don't worry
     
  4. ant043 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2008
    Location:
    Ireland
    #4
    i haven't really been impressed with the speed of HD video editing. The core 2 duo processor seems to struggle when under a full load. I'm guessing a quad core processor will make a huge difference in this regard.
     
  5. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

    TheBritishBloke

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2009
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #5
    If you're desperate for quad-core. Sell your 17" and order the i7 iMac.
     
  6. ant043 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2008
    Location:
    Ireland
    #6
    that's the problem though guys. I need portability. I'm very rarely at home at my desk and do alot of traveling.
     
  7. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

    Demosthenes X

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2008
    #7
    Then keep the 17". You're thinking about selling your current machine at a loss, and buying a slower one, one of the off chance that Apple will release a Quad Core notebook before too long?

    Why?

    Hang on to the 17". If/when Apple does release a QC notebook, sell your current machine and buy that. Macs hold onto their value well, you shouldn't loose too too much.
     
  8. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #8
    keep the 17". I dont know how else I could put it for you.

    a white macbook...with HD video editing? sure it'll work, but painfully.
     

Share This Page