White Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jtmx29, Jan 14, 2010.

1. jtmx29 macrumors regular

jtmx29

Hey guys,
    I have been an avid Windows user and a semi-gamer for years. I have always had a fascination with Windows and what they offer. After a year and an half of college I realized there was more out there considering operating systems. Over this time I took a liking to several Linux distributions because of their memory management and how they handle applications. As I learn more and more I realize that the way Windows handles registry is just redundant and not needed. Seeing as they are trying to move away from it with .NET that is still a long ways away.

So I currently have a decent powerhouse of a computer, quad core 2.67ghz, 6gb 800mhz ram etc. I have decided that in the next few months I will most likely get a laptop for school. Having played with Hackintosh with friends I really realized that I enjoy OSX. I would like to get a Macbook.

Currently I can afford and would like to get the base line 2.26ghz 2gb ddr3 ram 250gb hdd. I am just jumping in to the Mac world so I don't need a MBP. Also seeing as I have a powerhouse desktop most of my hardcore applications most likely would be run on the desktop. I simply want something fast and decent that can keep me satisfied.

So I have a couple questions that need answering. I understand that the white unibody macs are subjected to wear around the trackpad, it is almost inevitable. Is this still the issue? Also is the build quality satisfactory on the white macbooks? Also the hinges usually crack or get loose?

I'm sure everyone here will tell me to go with the MBP, but I understand and know the differences. I would like the white MB.

Thanks,
    JTMX29

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

We're veterans at advice and nobody here is going to say go with the other model.

The Problems you stated:
    1.I understand that the white unibody macs are subjected to wear around the trackpad, it is almost inevitable. Is this still the issue?

The new White MacBook is completely redesigned from the ground up! The trackpad is now the buttonless multi-touch gesture enabled glass trackpad, meaning ALL of the Apple portables currently have the same trackpad, except the MacBook Air.
    Being that it's glass, there's LITTLE if any chance of it becoming worn by any degree with regular use. The glass trackpad was released in 2007 with the MacBook Air and there haven't been reports of wear.

2. Also is the build quality satisfactory on the white macbooks?

The unibody construction is superb! I can't stop talking about it. Not only does it offer a solid seamless protective shell, but when you want to do upgrades it's as easy as removing ONE panel! You'd be as weepy eyed as me if you had opened as many other laptops as I have...the frames...I see them in my sleep ><

3. Also the hinges usually crack or get loose?

I haven't heard any reports of this issue with the new MacBooks, it's worth searching these forums to be certain. You may be thinking of the MacBook Air.

When I switched to OS X I was very satisfied that it had everything I like in Linux without the bare skeletal structure exposed. Enjoy your mac!

3. jtmx29 thread starter macrumors regular

jtmx29

Thank you very much, I hope to get one very soon!