White MacBook's still having discoloration issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by richard4339, Jan 6, 2008.

1. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I remember all of the discoloration drama on the white macbook's from a year or so ago, but thought that Apple had pretty much resolved the issue.

We got my fiance a MacBook, its not even a month old yet, but in the last few days, the color of the casing inside has started turning black, all around the edges of the case inside around the keyboard and screen. Is this a common issue still, or has something weird happened to this notebook?

2. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

I would say there is something wrong with that. I've had mine 3 months with 0 discoloration.

3. letswastetime macrumors regular

no discoloration for me either and ive had mine five months.

call AppleCare to get a replacement of the plastic part affected.

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Mine's changing colors right around where my palms rest. For reference, I bought it spotless less than a month ago. I'm not going to bother getting it replaced; not worth the trouble. But no, Apple doesn't fix things as a rule; they simply run out of defective parts.

5. dan7592 macrumors regular

I have had mine for a year and no discoloration.

6. richard4339 thread starter macrumors 6502a

richard4339

That's what I thought, I hadn't heard of the discoloration issues. It's been off, sitting on her desk for two days, and when we opened it today, the black areas were there. I can't even say it could be from wear and tear from oil from your hands, because of the vast area it has appeared on.

I'll call Applecare tomorrow to see what they say.

7. PROJECT359 macrumors regular

PROJECT359

I've had mine for a few months now and it's slowly turning black underneath. No performance issues, just looks like its been in a fire.

8. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

if you repeatedly put your hands on something white eventually it will start to change color. that's just what happens.

9. Niko macrumors newbie

I have mine for six months and it is pretty much clean. I sometimes use a clean white eraser to get off smudge that may smear the palm rest.

10. PROJECT359 macrumors regular

PROJECT359

Correction: after looking around other forums, it seems my problem is with the notebook case I'm using. It's odd though, it looks like the black build up is underneath the plastic coating.

Still, everything is working fine.