Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sauceking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2008
Hey MR, can someone give me a diagnosis on my problem? I noticed these 2 white dot/marks on my screen as I was rebooting my MacBook this morning. I thought they were smudge marks so I tried wiping them off with no avail. I then turned off my MacBook and the marks were gone, leading me to believe they are a screen problem. I took a picture with my iPhone, sorry if it's not too clear but its in the highlighted box (you can only see one of the 2 marks).

I bought my MacBook last September...I've been meaning to get Applecare...is it too late now? :p

Maybe it's just a blob of stuck pixels? Hmmmm:confused::confused:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 171

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
What specific day in Sept did you actually purchase your Mac? If it is even a day over a year you can't get Applecare which would of fixed you screen problem. Hopefully it is less than a year though.

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
If only everyone had oodles of cash stored away for buying meager updates.

Sauceking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2008
While I do LOVE new gadgets, I'm also the kind of person who loves his stuff as they age. I love an old pair of faded raw jeans that have been with me through all kinds stores, my old sneakers, my iPod that has developed some battle scars on the back, and I wanted to grow old with my MacBook too. I just hope this problem doesn't get any "worse"!

psxguru

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2006
Funnily enough I've recently noticed 2 spots on my screen like that :(
Only noticeable with certain colours - if you put the black mouse pointer over them you can't see them. I'm not sure if it's stuck pixels or not.

CTJoyce

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2008
Looks like an LCD bleed, or a back lighting problem. If your under warranty see if you can get it replaced.

Cheers
Cameron

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
LCD bleeds are never good as they don't go away, and get bigger, fast. My advise is to try to ignore it, get a wallpaper that hides it, and if it really annoys you, get an external monitor. It may not be a bleed, in which case it wouldn't get bigger, or at least as quickly.

AppleCare is needed now days, and all Mac's really are $183 extra if you want to guarantee they will work in 3 years from now.

Foamer

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2008
My old macbook developed the same spots (4 of them) shortly before I sold it. It did not look like LCD bleed, rather it looked like something was on the diffuser behind the display (the part that evenly distributes light across the display).

Dont know what it was, but they suddenly appeared and never got bigger. They were simply 4 dots.

I hope to hell my new 24" iMac doesnt start having issues with the display.

Sauceking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2008
Thanks for the feedback Foamer, I hope mine doesn't grow/develop new spots (this is almost like an acne breakout :p). But yea, those two dots don't bother me too much as they are impossible to see with the dock covering them, only time I notice them is when I watch a fullscreen movie or reboot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.