White MB screen quality vs. Alum. MB screen quality?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by orangeillini14, Jan 16, 2009.

1. orangeillini14 macrumors regular

Are the Aluminum ones better? I noticed that compared to the new MBP's, the viewing angle is a lot worse and isn't as great. How does the old MB's screen compare to the new one?

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Well comparing my macbook to my sisters white macbook that she got about a month before mine...I can probably say that my screen is brighter. Also, when looking straight on, the screen on mine is more vibrant and just looks nicer.

That's my opinion.

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

That's because the new ones are LED screen's as opposed to LCD.

4. dtx macrumors newbie

while the LED backlit screen is a better panel, the glossy finish is a problem for some people. if you're using it outdoors or with a lot of light behind you, it can be an issue. I use my at the office and around the house and haven't had a hint of reflection on it though, so I imagine for most people, it will be fine.

I'm thrilled with the screen on my Alum MB.

5. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

The white MacBook is glossy as well...

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Both screens are LCD's. The new one is LED backlit whereas the old model was CCFL backlit.

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Learn something new every day. :D

8. dtx macrumors newbie

oops! you're absolutely right. i stand by the rest of my post though! lol

9. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

it's a different gloss...

the screens are nicer in the new macbook... the glass is a little distracting in the wrong lighting situations but the color and back light uniformity are much better.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But the viewing angles are noticeably worse on the new MacBooks, both vertical angle, and horizontal. Really annoying.

It's funny, because I'm only going to buy the 15" MBP because of the screen. I like the 13" MB, but the screen resolution is a bit low, and the viewing angles have gotten worse, not better. I already had a problem with the viewing angles on the white/black MacBook, and the new one wasn't an improvement.

However, you won't get brightness fading with the new Alu Macbook screens. All CCFL lit LCD screens, whether they're for desktops or laptops, get dimmer over time. They also take time to warm up. Newer LED lit screens don't have this limitation.

I guess it's a bit of a toss-up. I personally find viewing angles to be important, because when I look at a photo, I don't want the top and bottom of my screen to look darker than it is in the middle (i.e. the vertical viewing angle problem). This would be perfectly illustrated with a plain white background image. However, it's only important when I'm looking at photos, or even text after awhile.

11. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

I had 3 white macbooks all of which had mildly worse viewing angles than the Alu. Mildly being the key word...

12. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Interesting. I'm definitely having a different viewing angle experience than you. I just got an AlumBook last night, and coming from a first gen MacBook, I am blown away by the screen. Even the glare issue that seems to drive some folks crazy isn't nearly as bad as I had been expecting.