white MB versus MBP13 screen quality ?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stefan1975, Aug 17, 2010.

1. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

I have been wondering something about these two machines. I know the differences in specs and price (backlit kb, glass mirror, alu, SD, firewire and €200 extra) between the 2010 MB and MBP 13".

However i personally actually preferred the MB screen since it wasn't as horribly glossy as the glass plate of the MBP and that alone would be a big + for the MB since all other "important" specs are identical. I type blind, never use SD and just the lack of firewire for my camera would be a disappointment.

The thing most important to would be the quality of the screen, technically, viewing angles, saturation. I have heard people say the screen of the MBP is in some way superior to the MB, is this true? And if so why? Aren't they the same panel except for the glass? Does Apple use different/better screens on the MBP13? all other components are identical, right?

the screen would be just about the only deciding factor in this.

2. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

if screen is the only factor how can you justify paying the extra 200 even if the panel is slightly better...

it's def not 200 euro better...

3. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

We have both in our family and the 13MBP screen is way way way better than the white unibody macbook. I'm not sure if its the same panel, but it sure doesn't look it. The MBP colours and contrast are miles ahead of the MB.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Depends on which white Macbook you're referring to because the new Unibody model is extremely close in quality to the MBP in terms of viewing angles, black levels and color.

5. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

I am referring to the Unibody white 2.26, haven't seen a 2.4 white to compare.

6. stefan1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well i have been looking at both 2010 models, they seemed both just a nice to me with the white MB looking even better because of the lack of glass. I hate glare and would prefer a HR AG MBP13 but since it is not there i think the MB looks less glossy then the MBP. I won't consider it if it is a screen of lesser quality though, i just figured it would be the same panel since the two are 99% identical as it is with apple just artificially crippling the MB.

the financial difference would be less when upgrading the MB to 4b and i use firewire +/- twice a year, but battery life, keyboard and screen quality are top priorities.

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I've owned both and the 13" MBP colours are much better and richer :D

8. stefan1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well that is what people say, but at the store i just noticed the difference in reflection not quality. So i was wondering if someone knows for a fact the led panels are different and the mb uses a lesser quality screen. I wouldnt expect apple to use two panels for near identical laptops.

9. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

Bingo! ^^ .... The Glass on the 13" MBP is what gives the illusion of a better screen , if the White had a glass screen then you wouldn't have done this thread :) ... So yup the screens are the same.

Also check out the specs on both models my friend ;)

10. stefan1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well it is a tough one i guess. adding 2gb ram online at apple makes the difference "just" €100. I could upgrade aftermarket but buying 4gb on ebay isn't that much cheaper then upgrading from 2gb to 4gb in the applestore i noticed.

so i guess i all comes down to either better wifi reception and less glare on the MB or backlit keyboard and firewire on the MBP but at a €100 premium.