Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msb65

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Hi Everyone,

I have a less than 1 month old White MB. I have become aware of an electronic noise emanating from below the upper left portion of the keyboard, under the q,w,e keys. The noise can be best described as a mechanical mosquito; it is a constant high-pitched buzz that starts once the computer has fully booted up, and doesn't stop until it has been shut down. Although it is quiet, if you get your head anywhere near the keyboard it is readily apparent and obnoxious. It does NOT appear to be fan related, as I can hear those going as well. I have listened to other Mac laptops with equal scrutiny, and this noise is not present.

A simple Google or Apple forum search indicates that people have been noticing this problem for years. Indeed Apple appears to have acknowledged it recently with MB Pros: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1823. I believe it indicates a faulty logic board.

- Have others noticed this with their MBs or MBPs?
- Does anyone know the true source?
- Most importantly can anyone give me some tips with how to deal with Apple on this? They have suggested I go talk to the store I bought it from. Those guys claim not to hear it (a common theme from what I have read). However, this is highly dependent on the level of ambient noise and hearing ability of the individual. I already had to return one MB that was DOA, and now I have this one. Given the expense of this purchase and the age of the machine I feel that I am entitled to a new one that does not display these issues. How can I effectively communicate this to Apple or my retailer, neither of which will likely want to comply?

magamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2009
Are you talking about the high pitched whine similar to the noise old TV monitors make? If that's the case, it might be the same problem as my Rev. C White MB had. I'm not sure if a newer White MB still has the same issue, but mine did and many other old MB owners have been reported the same problem. You can find a plethora of posts about it if you MRgoogle it.

If I remember correctly, it has something to do with the speed step function of C2D, so it's not Apple's fault. In my case, installing shhMBP worked wonders. If your MB is an old model, it may stop the buzzing completely. Just make sure you read the threads about it carefully before installing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.