Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

White noise during calls?

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
Im assuming it's ATT's reception but do you iPhone 4 users hear it during calls? It almost sounds like a VoIP phone call. Oddly enough my 1x cellphone doesn't give me that. Could it be the phone or a combination of the two?

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
First time I used some triplefi headphones on a cell phone I was astounded bu how much noise is on a cell call. You just can't hear it on a little speaker on the handset.

Comment

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Is it every time you ring anyone? Or only with a certain person, I mean the person could have a faulty Mic or something.

Ive never noticed it on mine.

Comment

dude-x

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2007
New York City
The carriers intentionally add white noise because are people are so used to the old analog phones that pure silence sounds like a dropped call.

Good headphones will make this noise apparent.

You shouldn't hear it loudly from the phone earphone though. If you do, that's probably a problem.

Comment

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
Ever phone call I hear it. I don't use the earphones when I'm making most of my calls. Either way I hear it with both the headphones and headset alone.

Comment

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
While dialing, and the phone is ringing I hear it. When the pick up it's throughout the call. I get distracted sometimes. Like a miniture rainfall in the background. Lol.

Comment

zephxiii

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Yea white noise is added sometimes to the network. AT&T in the DC area has it on their network, but AT&T in my area (N. IN) does not.

Comment

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
Yea white noise is added sometimes to the network. AT&T in the DC area has it on their network, but AT&T in my area (N. IN) does not.

Are you serious about adding white noise? That doesnt make any sense. Lol. It's distracting. What kind of  is that? Mannnnn.. I'm so done with AT&T. No bueno.

Comment

zephxiii

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Are you serious about adding white noise? That doesnt make any sense. Lol. It's distracting. What kind of  is that? Mannnnn.. I'm so done with AT&T. No bueno.

I found it kinda nice actually? It's subtle. You'd let this bother you that much? LOL, they aren't the only ones that have done something like this.

Comment

zephxiii

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
What I hear when I call back east an only be heard in-between speech, and I could barely hear it then.

Comment

Misfitgirl

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2015
Im assuming it's ATT's reception but do you iPhone 4 users hear it during calls? It almost sounds like a VoIP phone call. Oddly enough my 1x cellphone doesn't give me that. Could it be the phone or a combination of the two?
I have an android (still) and i get some creepy white noise voice. Does your screen ever black out for a second and then come back? Does it happen always or for certain calls? Mines just one person!

Comment

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
I have an android (still) and i get some creepy white noise voice. Does your screen ever black out for a second and then come back? Does it happen always or for certain calls? Mines just one person!
This thread is 5 years old and the iPhone 4 is forgotten. Why on Earth are you replying ?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.