White noise, random tones from audio out.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by milhous, Mar 11, 2008.

1. milhous macrumors newbie

Notebook is a 15" SR MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz.

I mostly pipe audio out to the speakers. But recently, I've been using headphones and have realized that every time a sound effect is played, such as a new mail notification or any system-related sound effect that there is white noise that accompanies it. The white noise remains for several seconds after the sound is played and than goes away

I've also heard random tones from the audio output as well. Best way I can describe it are similar tones that you hear while getting a hearing test using different frequencies.

Anyone else getting this? This is my first Intel Mac, and I don't recall ever getting this on a PowerPC machine.

I'll probably try returning it to Apple before the 1yr. warranty but I can't part with it now as its my only machine.

2. Ranchdip macrumors member

Make sure the gain staging is right (your computer shouldn't be turned up past 50% if it feeds another amplified device) from your computer to your speakers. Also, make sure there isn't a wierd EQ setting involved like maxed out highs. I don't own a mac product YET so I'm not sure if there even is an EQ setting.

3. otispunkmeyer macrumors 6502

i get it on my MBP too

you can hear the noise for a few seconds before the port goes off again... i think this is pretty much standard fare for all MBP's since i do remember people mentioning it alot around the time of release with the Santa Rosa based MBP's

its not adequate for what is supposed to be a professional bit of equipment, but i imagine most people (like myself) dont care too much about it (after all noise is present on nearly all analogue audio outs, just turn a MP3 player up to max without playing anything an u might get the same effect) and those that do require high quality audio will likely be using the digital out or something completely different like USB.

so yeah i dont think its a big issue, its definately an issue, but not a big one. if your happy with the rest of your machine id not bother sending it back. the replacement will likely be the same.

4. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

white noise?
    isn't that a movie about a guy...communicating with the dead..
    hmm.. is that you?:D:D