White nVidia Macbook screen quality

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Yurtal, May 31, 2009.

1. Yurtal macrumors member

I have owned a new white macbook for a month or so now and I am a little concerned about the quality of the screen. Basically the viewing angles are very bad. The slightest movement off center, the image completely changes, especially the blacks.

Also on a pure black background, the bottom left/right corners are nowhere near black and are sort of shining greyish and it takes a bit of adjustment to get an even black from top to bottom, if at all.

I was just wondering if this just a normal circumstance with theses lower-end white macbooks or should there be a better quality screen experience?

Cheers.

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Yep, am exactly the same.
    Think it's just the White Macbook Screens.

3. Yurtal thread starter macrumors member

Ah! yeah I thought that would be the case. Thanks mate.

4. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

All plastic MacBooks use a CCFL backlight. This is an older method of backlighting than say the LED backlight of the unibody notebooks or the even newer OLED displays in products such as the Zune HD.

CCFLs give a typically yellowish light, and the screen can be noticeably lighter at the bottom than at the top, since the light is more dispersed than the directional beams of LEDs.

This is perfectly normal, and some careful screen calibration can easily reduce the effects dramatically although not completely.

5. Yurtal thread starter macrumors member

Oh I see, thanks for that information. Could you point me to some info/methods of calibrating my screen? I haven't touched it since opening it so it's just on the default setting.

Thanks again.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...play around with the calibration settings, what looks good to someone else may look ***** to you...

7. Yurtal thread starter macrumors member

Will do, thanks mate.

8. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

His problem has little to do with how his display is backlit. Essentially he has a low quality display, with poor viewing angles and low black levels. This coupled with the glossy display which tends to add a haze I find makes for a poor viewing experience. But there are many excellent CCFL backlit displays with excellent viewing angles and the works.

Calibration is his best bet. To calibrate go to system prefs -> displays ->color -> calibrate and follow the instructions.