White or Aluminum...or?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wickerman1893, Jan 12, 2010.

1. wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

Alright here's the deal, i have a 20" iMac right now with a 750gb HD and 4gb of RAM. I love my iMac but i need something for travel and when i dont want to be stuck in my room. I am an experienced mac user but i suck at making decisions sometimes. Should i go an buy a white macbook, a 13" macbook pro, or (if apple releases it) the apple tablet.

If i get a macbook it will probably have 4gb of RAM and a 250gb HD. So what are some of your opinions? The white macbook would be cheaper. The pro would be faster and of course better, and the tablet would be new and innovated. Im planning on waiting till after the tablet (is/if) released to buy one.

Any suggestions?

2. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

What do you plan on using it for? I don't even know what the tablet will do so I can't recommend the tablet. Tablet would be neat, however there is a price to pay to be an early adopter.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

The MacBook and the 1st tier MacBook Pro have the same specs (except for the HD, which is 250 GB in the MB and 160 GB in the MBP), so the MBP wouldn't be faster, unless you are going for the 2.53 GHz 13" (which does come with a 250 GB HD).
    :)

4. wickerman1893 thread starter macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

right, i would hate to be one of the first people to enjoy the first few week bugs, plus it wouldn't likely come out for 3-6 months after the keynote, so i could always save up for that again.

5. Foreign Feeling macrumors member

Honestly for 200$ more the aluminum macbook pro doesnt seem like that worth of a change.. All you get is the aluminum build (to which some people prefer more), a backlit keyboard, a better screen quality (not that big of a difference) and the base price has a smaller hard drive.. Everything else is just the same..

I would just go with the macbook

6. wickerman1893 thread starter macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

yeah, and i kinda like the plain white, and the backlit keyboard doesnt matter to me, now that i think about it i might go with the macbook.

7. Foreign Feeling macrumors member

oh and dont forget with the MBP that you have and SD slot and a firewire slot. I never use firewire and I have a usb thing for my SD slot which I rarely use and when I do use i don't mind taking up a USB space. I hope you enjoy whatever you purchase!

8. Surely Guest

Surely

Just for something to think about......

I didn't think that the backlit keyboard would be a big deal to me, but by far, it's my favorite feature.

I've used the SD slot (which the MB doesn't have) a few times, and I have yet to use the Firewire port (which the MB also doesn't have).

9. Foreign Feeling macrumors member

I have to agree, the backlit keyboard is nice, I happen to be using my brothers macbook pro right now and it is very pretty. I kinda wish they would put it on a macbook but I do understand why they need to have a difference between the macbook and macbook pro line. I think I'm going to have make a backlit keyboard on my macbook sometime in the near future

10. Buzz Bumble Guest

The MacBook Pros are due for a refresh soon (maybe even this month), so it's probably worth waiting to see what changes happen. The cheapest MacBook Pro will probably have a speed boost at the very least to separate it more from the white MacBook.

Of course, if you don't like the white MacBook you can always order a bright pink one from the company that spray paints them. ;)

11. Ljw1976 macrumors member

me ,,i woud go for the white..as the aluminium is great.,but not worth the extra cash..and same spec..but less hd..

also another key thing is that..i personally own a macbook aluminum ,,but i couldnt trun it down as it was so cheap and in such good condition..but the point being is that if me i would go for the white..as much as i love my aluminum macbook ..i feel i have to place it carefully incase i scratch it..as for when i owned the ibook white...it didnt matter cos the plastic is so good..and even with scratches it doesnt matter as it would do with the aluminum..

thats my opinion...and as for the new white your getting a great machine for the price..and i wouldnt hold out on the tablet as i feel it wont be much faster, better than the laptops apple has to offer

12. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Or you can do a tiny bit of work and paint it yourself.