Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Should I exchange my space grey iPad Air 2 for a white/gold, kind of have buyers remorse now that I have the black. Colors seem to pop more on the white, I am a graphic designer and plan to do a lot of digital painting and design on the iPad, what's a better color?

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
Should I exchange my space grey iPad Air 2 for a white/gold, kind of have buyers remorse now that I have the black. Colors seem to pop more on the white, I am a graphic designer and plan to do a lot of digital painting and design on the iPad, what's a better color?

Black. Better perceived contrast. Suits film and photo display standards. Directors don't handle their movies on white bezel TVs (no one does).

cannono

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2014
doesnt matter. your content is on the screen, not the bezels - so are your eyes.

It does matter. That's why few TVs have those show floor silver bezels and none have white bezels. Darker is better for perceived contrast.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
It does matter. That's why few TVs have those show floor silver bezels and none have white bezels. Darker is better for perceived contrast.

theres no proof of this, anywhere -its purely subjective, or as you said, perceived.

im not sure what a show floor silver bezel is.

tvs are black because white tvs are just ugly and collect dirt due to the static electricity. they have made white tvs in the past, they get filthy and discolor to yellow, which is why they really arent common. plus tvs usually go against white/whitish walls.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
But do Colors seem to pop more on white?

Why? Why does a bezel have to do with the color of the screen?

I prefer black bezels because it distracts my attention less, especially when under sunlight.

Last edited:

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
You should get the gold one for sure.

Or buy a bright gold case with rhinestones.

AntnyMikal

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
I've been doing art on my iPads for years, the Air was the first white one I got, the pictures definitely pop more on it than my others with the black bezels.
I also felt like the workspace was more defined, which made some work easier on the eyes.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I've been doing art on my iPads for years, the Air was the first white one I got, the pictures definitely pop more on it than my others with the black bezels.
I also felt like the workspace was more defined, which made some work easier on the eyes.

Very good point! I do however like how the display seems to melt into the black

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
It's an interesting quandary. On the one hand, you have a backlit screen, which as others have mentioned, has historically been surrounded by a dark frame, presumably, to my thinking, to replicate the classic darkened theater experience.

On the other hand, graphic design workspaces have traditionally been the domain of white; from the art boards to the desk surface, to the walls of the studio.

In reality, it shouldn't matter. Most of the better drawing/painting apps I've seen or used provide the user with a windowed/bordered canvas area anyway, which is often white, or sometimes user configurable. You're not likely to paint full screen anyhow...you need room for palletes. So if you use an app with an art board and a surrounding white work area, it shouldn't much matter what color your iPad bezel is.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
It's an interesting quandary. On the one hand, you have a backlit screen, which as others have mentioned, has historically been surrounded by a dark frame, presumably, to my thinking, to replicate the classic darkened theater experience.

On the other hand, graphic design workspaces have traditionally been the domain of white; from the art boards to the desk surface, to the walls of the studio.

In reality, it shouldn't matter. Most of the better drawing/painting apps I've seen or used provide the user with a windowed/bordered canvas area anyway, which is often white, or sometimes user configurable. You're not likely to paint full screen anyhow...you need room for palletes. So if you use an app with an art board and a surrounding white work area, it shouldn't much matter what color your iPad bezel is.

I know its a first world problem, but thats why we are here on macrumors ;) i guess ill head to the apple store and play around with both for a good amount of time.

Then make a final decision.

justinTlME

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
My rMini, iPhone 6+ and Air 2 are all white/silver. I just think they look cleaner, slicker, and higher quality than the boring black. I feel like I notice smudging and prints more with black too. Before my 6+ all my iPhones before were black, and my only iPad before the rMini was my iPad 2, which was also black.

Danilo - Italy

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2014
In my opinion the best can be a 50% gray, but there is not.
A 50% gray can have the best medium contrast with every kind of images on the screen.

justinTlME

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
In my opinion the best can be a 50% gray, but there is not.
A 50% gray can have the best medium contrast with every kind of images on the screen.

I wish there was a way to get the white front with the space gray back. Or even the space gray on the entire device.

AntnyMikal

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
White or Black iPad Air 2 for Graphic Design?

I know its a first world problem, but thats why we are here on macrumors ;) i guess ill head to the apple store and play around with both for a good amount of time.

Then make a final decision.

Playing with them at the store is probably the best to know for sure.
The other thing you could do is a screen protector with colored edges that cover the bezel color. Forget where I seen them, only downside is getting lined up perfectly around the display. You could pick any color, pattern etc. there used to be a shop in the mall that did them and it was pretty neat.

Something like this.
71e366591497b602b9a91caddbd4b961.jpg

Just gotta find them for the air.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Playing with them at the store is probably the best to know for sure.
The other thing you could do is a screen protector with colored edges that cover the bezel color. Forget where I seen them, only downside is getting lined up perfectly around the display. You could pick any color, pattern etc. there used to be a shop in the mall that did them and it was pretty neat.

Something like this. Image

Just gotta find them for the air.

interesting!

I actual have the space gray but everytime i see the white/gold or white/silver model, I get this warm gooey feeling inside, although the black looks sexy as hell and "bad ass" as a designer I can see the appeal of the white. I am stuck in the middle, but I plan to solve it once and for all tonight at the apple store when I give each one ample time side by side.

AntnyMikal

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
I just sold my silver Air, and went to BB to check out the 2s. They had a gold wifi on display, I think I'll be getting that one or the silver one, should go nicely with new Wacom intuos creative stylus 2 I bought while there today.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
It was easy for me to decide on the black iPhone 6 plus but the iPad is so much more difficult, I'll report back here with my decision :)

m3tric

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2009
I'll be getting black. White is too distracting and the annoying thin black border between the white bezel and screen looks ugly.

icecoldart

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
Europe-Poland
Man I don't really want to sound rude, but since when someone needs a forum topic to decide which "colour" (as you should know as an artist/ graphic designer that neither black nor white are colours, they are the absolute lack of it) to choose. That's strictly a personal opinion/matter of taste and has almost no impact on the amount of work you're going to do on it. Unless the bezel is a neon.

The strenght of your art/design comes from your mind and skills it has learned/obtained, not from a dark or light ipad bezel.

I'm an artist myself and I've chosen gold, simply because it's fresh and I preffer a white bezel iPad, but would never pick a white iPhone, those for me have to be black.

Can we please go back to solving world class problems now...? ;)

p.s i did this one quite some time ago but it may fit the situation ^^'

tamato_heaven_by_icecoldart-d725plr.jpg

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Graphic designer here. Black. Also don't expect to do a ton of graphic design on an iPad. But the hope is that will change with updates and new apps since the Air 2 is spec'd similar to the low-end MacBook Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.