Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yannoulecomte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2013
I plan on buying Apple's latest tablet, the iPad 5 or iPad mini 2, but I have hard time choosing which color. When I used my friend's iPad 3 (white), it seemed that retina displays stands out more than on a black one. But with the black, you are less distracted by the bezels.

Anyone here with a white iPad that can tell me if the white bezels really are a problem and if retina display stands out more?

Oh and black iPad mini owners, does a single nail scratch and the slate shows off a lot?

thanks!

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
My wife and I both have iPad 4's and Mini's. She insisted that her iPad 4 had to be white, but only because she liked the color regardless. When she bought a Mini last week, she chose black because my black devices were less distracting. She has commented several times about liking black better on the front.

I've had my Mini for several months, and it doesn't have even the slightest scratch. You could buy a protective skin or case, but the Mini's light weight and smaller size mean it gets set down more lightly, and bumps into things less often (and with much less force).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I would say that the white is more striking, and possibly more attractive looking, whereas the black is more muted, more practical and less likely to be immediately noticed (a good thing when travelling as you may not wish to attract too much attention).

Personally, because I travel a lot, I chose the black.

Markyyy

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2013
white = woman
black = man

= bollocks.

I prefer black becuase the bezel is less distracting. It's why movie theatres are dark, so you only see what matters; the onscreen stuff. Also, when white things get dirty and grimey, it shows more.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Black if you primarily watch videos.

White if you do a variety of things where the content has lighter colored backgrounds.

But mainly, get the color you like the looks of.

Last edited:

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
The white with the lighter anodized aluminum back is beautiful. It looks like a scientific instrument. I wish the black model had the white one's back.

Of course it's a matter of personal preference. I have a black iPhone 5. I'd prefer a white iPad mini... once it's available with a retina display ;)

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
White. Rarely watch videos and it hides all fingerprints.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    805 KB · Views: 221

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I personally prefer black and don't have any scratches on mine...bought on release day but I did put a cheap TPU cover over the back which doesn't add any weight. You can always get a skin if you feel you made the wrong choice later on or a case even...Buy the color you prefer.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I have a white one. I think it looks beautiful, however the black one is pretty nice too. I think the iPhone 5/iPad mini design was really nice this time round. The iPod touch 5th gen had quite a good look too.

I don't find the bezel distracting at all and I watch a lot of videos. Before I bought my mini I looked at the white and black side by side and the white just stood out more to me so I bought the white.

gskiser

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Are you joking or serious?

father & son = black iPad min's/ipod/iphone
wife & daughter = white iPads, ipod/iphone

So Yes

So you're sample of four people is statistical significance in representing all of humanity? Such a scientific and rock solid formula. I like Coke, my wife likes Pepsi, ergo all men must like Coke and Women must like Pepsi. Great deductive analysis; you get a gold star.

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
Deffinitely black. I won't buy white front ever again. White may look attractive at first, but in the long run, black is always better. And I like the device looks all black when screen's off.

Last edited:

ucfgrad11

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
father & son = black iPad min's/ipod/iphone
wife & daughter = white iPads, ipod/iphone

So Yes

Guess only women were allowed to own Apple products prior to the U2 iPod :)

I'm a guy with a white iPhone and will be getting a black iPad just to switch it up.

gagecloutier

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
White for me, this time around. I've had a black iPhone 4, iPad 2, and iPhone 5. I'm ready to change things up. Going with a white iPad mini and a white iPhone 6 (presumably).

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
Oh and black iPad mini owners, does a single nail scratch and the slate shows off a lot?

thanks!

No scratches on mine. I use it naked and very often. The only time it's in a sleeve is when it's in my purse. I bought it to use not preserve. I take reasonable precautions not to damage. Not religious about scratch prevention. So far no scratches. Back of nine is black.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.