Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nexrus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
I'm in the market for a new mac and can't decide between the white or black. Obviously the major difference is the price and specs... but can someone tell me if the outside is made of same material? I stronly prefer black as a color but my friend has a black one and it attracts fingerprints, smudge, etc. I think its the type of material that its made of... so basically Im asking which is easier to keep clean (I know its supid to base my decision on which on will be cleaner but it is an important aspect for me)

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
they are both the same material from what i understand... i'd also guess that white would be harder to keep clean than black but i have a mbp so can't really give too much insight into that

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I've owned both. They are both made of plastic, and I preferred the white because it was actually easier to keep clean than the black.

However, what everyone on here is going to tell you is that there have been a million threads on this topic and that its a matter of personal choice. :)

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
Going by aesthetics, my vote goes to the whitebook. When I got mine I had wanted the blackbook, but couldn't justify the extra expense, but the whitebook has grown on me a lot.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Going by aesthetics, my vote goes to the whitebook. When I got mine I had wanted the blackbook, but couldn't justify the extra expense, but the whitebook has grown on me a lot.

i would have gotten a blackbook like a lot of my friends, but spending the extra money just for the black color and a minute upgrade, wasn't worth it to be and i couldn't really afford it at the time (my money used to buy it). i love the white though and you can't go wrong with it at all!

Kalafut

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
pocatello
I'm in the market for a new mac and can't decide between the white or black. Obviously the major difference is the price and specs... but can someone tell me if the outside is made of same material? I stronly prefer black as a color but my friend has a black one and it attracts fingerprints, smudge, etc. I think its the type of material that its made of... so basically Im asking which is easier to keep clean (I know its supid to base my decision on which on will be cleaner but it is an important aspect for me)

my white macbook stays pretty clean. i don't know about black though.

freakinandre

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
i have a blackbook and it does attract fingerprints easily. but it's just a matter of wiping it with the included cloth and your good as new.

x5Starsx

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2008
Lahaina, HI
I was initially in love with the whitebook, I love white electronics I also switched to T-Mobile because I wanted a blackberry, I got the white one. I got a white sony vaio laptop, etc. Then for whatever reason I changed my mind, I HAD to have the blackbook instead. I hadn't really gotten a good look at it even until I watched the movie I Know Who Killed Me oddly enough. That did it for me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.