Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
Now i personally don't like white phones but i can't help but think that Apple would make a killing with white pro models. Especially with a white bezel on the front (maybe that can't be done with oled panels).

it seems like 80% of the iPhone 7's and 8's i see in the wild are white.

Do you think this is true ? Is there a reason they don't ?

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Now i personally don't like white phones but i can't help but think that Apple would make a killing with white pro models. Especially with a white bezel on the front (maybe that can't be done with oled panels).

it seems like 80% of the iPhone 7's and 8's i see in the wild are white.

Do you think this is true ? Is there a reason they don't ?

A white bezel would look horrible with the notch. Also I don’t think many people are going to other brands because Apple doesn’t make a white Bezel iPhone Pro.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
A white bezel would look horrible with the notch. Also I don’t think many people are going to other brands because Apple doesn’t make a white Bezel iPhone Pro.

I agree the notch would be more pronounced, never thought of that but i'm sure plenty would like a white back like the 11 and xr offer.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The silver color on the Pro is close enough to white. The reason Apple offers silver, gold, space gray is because those are more expensive metallic colors. The iPhone 11 and XR only have flat colors: white, black, green, purple, etc.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If you look back at the iPhone 7 or 8 for example, the contrast and color of the bezel with the actual iPhone color, was never an option for the consumer to have one or the other. Apple purposely would use a white bezel for a gold/silver iPhone. But in terms of using it in the iPhone display as it is today, the black outline conceals the notch, Virtually making it undetectable unless the display is illuminated.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Look at the notch. Now look at it under decent light and see how big the Face ID sensors are. Now imagine a white notch with 4 black holes of differing sizes across it.

There is your answer as to why apple don't do it.

Reactions: AE_stc and Lekro

_karrol

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Wien, Österreich
I've used white bezel older model iPhones in passing and hated it. My wife's previous iPad was a white bezel model and hated that as well. It's distracting on what is and should be mostly display. That said I did go with the white/silver backed XS when I upgraded last.

This! My previous iPad had white bezel and even if I was not distracted by it, the difference was clearly visible when comparing to my earlier iPad with a black bezel. Especially if this is an iPad without a laminated display, white bezel makes it clearly visible that the display is not directly under glass, but a bit lower.

The back of the silver phone is white, people are just nitpicking because Apple designates it as the silver phone. The only thing silver is the frame and the rings around the camera.

I also don't understand why people get so attached to the names given by Apple... if the shade on the back of 11 Pro is a bit different due to the frosted glass, then X/XS were clearly white, yet they were also called silver by Apple (didn't make sense at all to me).

Reactions: Devyn89 and Ta0jin

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
I also don't understand why people get so attached to the names given by Apple... if the shade on the back of 11 Pro is a bit different due to the frosted glass, then X/XS were clearly white, yet they were also called silver by Apple (didn't make sense at all to me).

i bekeive apple typically uses the side colours as name - hence the stainless steel is silver. That or they just wanted to be consistent with names used in the past.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The back of the silver phone is white, people are just nitpicking because Apple designates it as the silver phone. The only thing silver is the frame and the rings around the camera.

I don't know why people say this when it's clear silver is silver and white is white.

1586552284988.png

[automerge]1586552445[/automerge]
i bekeive apple typically uses the side colours as name - hence the stainless steel is silver. That or they just wanted to be consistent with names used in the past.

That's preposterous. I think some people have bad lighting or bad eyesight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.