White screen craziness ofter replacing glass. HELP!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ttottle, Mar 18, 2012.

1. ttottle macrumors newbie

My 3gs took a bit of a tumble a month or so ago and shattered the screen . I was able to still use it so didn't bother replacing the screen until a few days ago when the glass began breaking off.

I ordered a new glass screen from Amazon and it worked without problem until today. After noticing the phone hadn't made a sound in a few hours (very uncommon) I noticed it was frozen on the apple screen. I left it alone and 10 minutes later nothing had changed so I performed a hard reset. The screen came back on, stayed on the apple for a minute or two, then went to the unlock screen. I thought everything was fine until I realized that it wasn't recognizing touch on a portion of the screen so I can't unlock it; oddly though certain parts of the screen that were not recognized on the unlock screen are recognized in the emergency call setting. After leaving it alone for minute or less the white screen pops up. If I try another hard reset the same thing happens step for step.

The only iphone repair places locally charge astronomic prices just for a diagnostic and I am fully skilled in replacing parts myself I've just never encountered anything like this before. Any advice/ideas?

Oh and I can still hear when I recieve texts/calls/notifications. I just can't see a thing. If I hold down the on/off button and then swipe the screen where the power off would typically be it will power down. Also works when phone is ringing. If I swipe in the direction of the answer slider if works. Could it be that the lcd needs replaced?

2. luisadastwin macrumors regular

luisadastwin

It's almost certainly an issue with DIGITIZER and ALSO with LCD screen (or their respective ribbons).

You can buy a full assembly for about 25$ on eBay! (Glass + Digitizer + LCD) and you'll surely solve your problem.

3. GuardDogTech macrumors newbie

I would try to reset the device. Make sure that you have a recent back up, and then restore. I've ran into this issue before on a 3GS and iPods, and the difference between these and the iPhone 4 is: You don't have to disconnect the battery to replace the screen. I would also double check that the connections (FPC connectors) are on nice and tight. This should help you out. I totally understand the DIY method, and thats how I learned.

NOTE: I wouldn't run right out and buy a new set up (LCD and Digitizer) just yet. The fact that your LCD wasn't messed up before means it's probably still good. It is easy to mess it up pulling it out of the frame that is connected to the digitizer, but that all depends on how rough you were with it. Try a backup and restore, if that doesn't work then get replacements.

4. luisadastwin macrumors regular

luisadastwin

Yes, you are right.
    I wouldn't buy it just yet before trying any other things.
    But I'm actually having the same issue right know... It's been almost a week and I'm going to quit now...

I've:

• checked FPC connectors
    • reset the iPhone (10 sec of Power + Home button)
    • wait for total drain of battery

And I really don't believe in restoring iPhone to solve this issue. I can not see how can it be related to that. :confused: Restoring is just replacing data on you iPhone and nothing else...

Reseting of draining battery is more likely to be related to this issue since it can reset electrical charges causing this issue...

Cheers,