White screen. Logic board fail. Extremly pissed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by francis09, Feb 10, 2013.

1. francis09 macrumors newbie

Last week I started using my vga port to watch movies and stuff on my tv. For about 5 days everything was working fine on my mbp with no problems. On thursday I was on my laptop just browsing the net and my power notification popped up on the screen. As I went to grab my power cable and when I was about to plug it in my mbp just died. Even though my power notification literally JUST came on?! When I try to reboot it shows a blurry apple symbol then goes straight to a white screen. I have tried using different commands while booting but it seems like my keyboard or mouse are not responding.

I took my mbp to the apple store and the mac genius said it looked like my logic board has failed. He suggest I ship it to the Apple repair center and pay $310 or pay for a new logic board for over $500!! WTF?! I have an external HD but still dont want to restore mbp unless its the absolute last option. How does this logic board failure happen? Only thing I can think I've been doing different is using the vga port to mirror images onto my tv so was that the problem?? Any other alternative options I can look into to getting my mbp fixed without going deep into my pockets?? I have a 2011 15 inch MBP 2.5GHZ. Thanks

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

VGA still around, amazing. I take it no AppleCare.

$310 sounds very reasonable for a 2011 mainboard replacement. Not sure why the Apple store would suggest you ship it when they can do the job in store.