White Screen of death - 5 day old 3Gs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ratpackjj, Jun 27, 2009.

1. ratpackjj macrumors member

So like usual I downloaded some applications last night from the app store. Also an update to Wimbledon app. Get the charge down to 3% (I like full cycles) and plug it in to charge. Wake up to and check the time on the Iphone and nothing. When it hold the wake button the screen goes white. The mute switch got it to vibrate and the home button gave the voice control beep. Nothing else.

I go and sync it to my Imac and back up the Iphone and try a restore.

It can't restore. I get the error below.

I can't even talk to apple b/c they won't open until an hour.

I checked local genius bars and they don't have a spot till Monday.

Of course this is a bad day for this to happen. I have to pick up inlaws from the airport and will be driving to NYC all day tomorrow.

Can someone really be out of luck? The 3GS would have been really useful in NYC. I guess I might have to wait or get lucky and see a local Genius today. Did I mention I am at work? Sorry for the rant.

Attached Files:

• fail.jpg
      fail.jpg
      File size:
      80.1 KB
      Views:
  2. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

3. ratpackjj thread starter macrumors member

Holding down the wake button now does nothing. The screen never lights up or anything. I put it into my work Mac and itunes doesn't even see it.

4. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

im sorry dude so your iphone is completly unresponsive?

5. ratpackjj thread starter macrumors member

thanks for you sympathy. Yes it is not responsive.

Does apple squeeze people in at the Genius bar?

Apple corporate opens in 23 minutes.

6. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Try holding down the sleep/wake button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears. This can take up to a couple of minutes so be patient.

If that doesn't work I'd try to restore it a couple of times in hopes that it will take on one of the attempts. If all of that fails, you're going to have to go to Apple with it.

7. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

well you never know if you get to the genius bar and somebody is running late/not coming to there appointment. so you have a good chance and i have gone to the store without making an appoint and gotten squeezed in. i dont know what else i can tell you besides dfu mode good luck with everything

8. ratpackjj thread starter macrumors member

Woohoo! It's alive. Took a half dozen tries but it's back.

What happened?

First the screen was white. After the restore attempt it was black and unresponsive. After multiple tries it seems alive. I think everyone should learn this Iphone CPR. Thanks for your helpful advice.

9. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

yay no genius bar for you all iphones act up at some point it seems
    i remeber when i had 2.0 on my 3g it would get stuck on the apple logo forever
    and then when finally turned on it wouldnt show my music. ah memories of glitchy 2.0

10. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I dunno man ... I had an iPhone that did that - don't count your blessings just yet. Mine eventually flaked out again.

11. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Congrats! I'm glad you got it working. Have fun with it in NYC!

12. ratpackjj thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all for you're help. Yeah the shiny new feeling I have for it has dimmed a little. But I have a 1G Ipod touch that had gimpy moments but has ticked along for 2+ years. Bottom line all electronics can act up. Apple or not. Apple products tend not to do this from my experience going back to the Apple IIsi (helped get me into grad school, never crashed).

I did buy Squaretrade the day I got it and now I am really glad to have it as a backup just in case Apple can't fix it or are unwilling (I have read too many threads about fantom water sensors).

3 things to note.

1. I used a second Mac to try to restore and it gave nothing.
    2. the Hard reboot (home and wake key) took a few tries.
    3. battery got quite warm in all of this.

thanks all again.

13. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

have fun in NYC with your inlaws