White Screen of Death - Options Have Run Dry!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Bentendo, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Bentendo, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015

Bentendo macrumors newbie

Bentendo

Hi,

I have a mid 2011 27" (3.4 GHz Core i7) iMac that as of last night is throwing up the White Screen of Death about a quarter of the way into the Apple logo boot up.

I have tried booting into recovery, a Windows partition, and an SD card with bootable Yosemite ISO mounted to it... and the result is exactly the same, a WSOD about 25% into the progress bar.

I have also tried single user mode to check for modified drives, I have reset PRAM, and I have attempted Safe Mode. Again, all with the same white screen and eventual reboot.

I'm presuming/hoping that as a result of it being able to at least show me start up options such as Recovery and OSX/Win partitions, that the fault is more software than hardware. But without being able to gain access to Disc Utilities I'm up the creek!

Does anyone have any further ideas?
    Thanks.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Radeongate - due to the 6970M card.

3. Bentendo thread starter macrumors newbie

Bentendo

After looking on Google (as I'd never heard of this problem) am I right in thinking then that a hardware repair is the only solution? I'm also thinking I've managed to miss the boat on Apple doing the repair for free.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Unfortunately, yes to both.

5. Bentendo thread starter macrumors newbie

Bentendo

Contacted Apple and they're honouring the free repair if they work out it is the card to blame, so booked in with a Genius on Tuesday and hopefully it'll be sent away for free.