White Screen of Death

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mykbibby, May 26, 2008.

1. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

Hi everyone, I am currently using an iMac, just got it two weeks ago. I had a weird error in which I would force quit an app (FCP), and it would say that it force quit, but then the light would still be on, and right clicking it would force quit it. I then thought it might be a Finder problem, so I relaunched it, and the same thing happened. It was completely unresponsive. So I tried shutting it down, which it wouldn't do, so I decided to just pull the plug. Now when rebooting, instead of the white screen with the Apple Logo and the chime, I get the white screen, the chime, and no Apple logo (pictured), and it's been stuck on it for 20 minutes. I pulled the plug again, and the same thing is happening. I really need someone to help me out!

Attached Files:

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

3. Mykbibby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

Hard Drive failure?!?!?!?!?!?!? I have soooo much important stuff on there!!!

4. Mykbibby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

Okay, I fixed it. I shut down my external hard drive. The logo came on, I turned the HD back on, and now it works. Thanks Julien!

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Now that you have it working, I suggest that you back up your important stuff, as you call it, in case the HD really does fail.

6. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

You should try restarting from your install disks and run disk utility over your HD as a first step. This used to happen to me all the time on my old eMac!!!

EDIT: Sorry posted at the same time the OP said they had fixed it!