White Screen of Doooooom

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RavynX, Oct 6, 2010.

1. RavynX macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro 15". Product #: Z0GG

Backstory: Sunday the updates window popped up so I let it run and reboot. Boot screen is stuck on the white screen with apple logo and spinning icon. None of the typical hotkeys were working like the Shift key to go to Safe Mode. I decided to resinstall Snow Leopard which went perfectly fine since I was able to boot off of the Install DVD. Everything seemed fine after the install and I had all of my previous programs and files.

It worked fine all day yesterday until I shut the lid to leave work. I got home, opened the lid and the spinning mouse icon was continuously spinning. I could move the mouse but couldn't click anything. I shut it down using the power button. Upon booting it up I did not hear the boot up sound but a white screen displayed and didn't do anything from there. I rebooted it again, inserted the Snow Leopard DVD to try and boot off of that and it won't even boot off of the DVD. None of the typical hotkeys work either, not even to eject the DVD. I do hear the DVD spinning up but it doesn't do anything; just a white screen.

I did reset the PRAM which forced it to reboot and I got the startup sound back but it still only shows a white screen. Any ideas? I forgot to purchase Apple Care last month before my 1 year warranty ran out so I'm 1.5 months out of that. Ugh. No love at all lately for me.

2. RavynX thread starter macrumors newbie

I just dissected my Macbook, removed the harddrive, and booted it up via the Snow Leopard DVD and it's running just fine. Bad hard drive!