White screen on boot with iPod connected

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Bolteh, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Bolteh macrumors regular

Sep 20, 2007

Whenever (or 95% of the time) I boot my Alu iMac when my iPod (first gen video) is connected, the booting process is stuck at the white screen without the Apple-logo or the spinning circle-dot-thingy. This has pretty much happened since the first day I got this iMac (+- a year ago), but hasn't really bothered me as it's more of a nuisance than anything else. This can easily be fixed by just disconnecting the iPod and wait a few seconds, but I'd like a more permanent fix as I often just boot my iMac when I wake up and go down for breakfast and stuff while the computer is booting.

Now, I -know- this isn't a problem that's limited to only myself, as I've googled and found quite a few sites which report the same thing with the iPod, some external HDDs, digicams, etc... But I haven't really found a fix that works 100%. Does this mean there is no fix, or am I just being blind?

On a (slightly) different note: I've noticed a huge increase in booting time over the period of purchasing this iMac untill now.. I used to be able to boot from offline to completely work-ready in less than 20 seconds, but now it often goes up to 1 minute or even higher. I might be picky here, but is there any way I could maybe decrease the booting time again?
  2. CWallace macrumors 603

Aug 17, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Is your iPod connected via FireWire?

If so, is it possible it is set as the default boot device in Startup Disc?
  3. Bolteh thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 20, 2007
    It's connected though USB and it happens when it's connected to the keyboard USB slots -and- the back of the computer.