White screen ONLY after attempted restore

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by inconvenience, Feb 6, 2011.

1. inconvenience macrumors newbie

Alright, so I dropped my new iPhone for the first time today. Not even 2 weeks old. Barely a scratch on the poor thing, so I just went on my way. Noticed a little later that it wasn't on. I thought it may have been dead, so I went and plugged it into the computer to charge. iTunes pops up saying that my phone is in recovery, and needs to be restored. Mild panic, but okay.. attempted the restore. Spent the 7 1/2 minutes for it to do it's thing, and I get 'Error 21'. Restore couldn't be completed.
    I look at the phone, and what do you know.. a pretty white screen staring back at me. No lines, no discolored patches.. snow white. Stays white until it is unplugged or resets itself, then goes dead black again.
    Tried the software fix - home/power

Looked into opening the phone, as it seemed it could have been a loose cord or something like that. That would void warranty. But accidental damage isn't covered anyways, so they wouldn't fix the phone for free.

Sounds like something was knocked loose inside as there is a rattling sound.

Anyone ever hear of something like this ?
    Been looking around and haven't seen these circumstances for any other white screen.

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

If it's an iPhone 4 and there is no external damage that shows it's been dropped then Apple will replace it under warranty. Worse case is that they will charge you $199. :)